Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: My search providers disappeared!!!

The samething happened to me today when I updated bbm

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

[ Edited ]

JSanders wrote:

lol, pointing at what?

This is VERY specifically a Verizon thing. Verizon can point at RIM all they want, but it just indicates how silly they are.

It was announced back in the summer and people have been noticing more lately.

http://www.berryreview.com/2009/06/23/verizon-pushing-microsoft-bing-on-blackberry-homepage/

http://www.microsoft-bingsearch.com/verizon-pushing-bing-app-to-blackberry-storm-cnet-news/2009/11/0...

So, complaints and criticism of Verizon for this action would more appropriately be voiced here:

http://forums.verizon.com/

Dude, you still have no idea what you're talking about. 

This has nothing to do with an app getting pushed. It's the search provider when searching from the Start Page.  The only option is Bing.  Google is gone.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

paulmike3 wrote:

This has nothing to do with an app getting pushed. It's the search provider when searching from the Start Page.  The only option is Bing.  Google is gone.

Yes -- and it seems that VZW did it as part of their BING push...hence, complaints to VZW are the best recourse...

And, BTW...it is not yet universal...mine remains with the prior set. I have the BING app they pushed, but I've never launched it. I am wondering if launching it causes the override of the other settings...I really don't want to test it yet!

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Solutions: 6,348
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

paulmike3 wrote:

Dude, who peed in your Cheerios this morning?

I know exactly what I am talking about. I never said it was an application. Verizon is pushing out the limitation of the search provider, only to include Bing!

Yea, and I think it's silly also.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

JSanders wrote:

paulmike3 wrote:

Dude, who peed in your Cheerios this morning?

I know exactly what I am talking about. I never said it was an application. Verizon is pushing out the limitation of the search provider, only to include Bing!

Yea, and I think it's silly also.

lol.... ok, then you posting links that are specific to the application being pushed to the home screen were relevent to this thread how?

I answered your question in what I wrote in my own words, that Verizon was pushing it out to the devices, and I backed it up with that news from earlier in the year.

Otherwise, it's the same difference, it was an app then, the entire browser now. And it answers the question of where Bing came from.

Verizon will stop at nothing...

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
My Device: 9550
My Carrier: vERIZON

I was playing with the Bing App that appeared on my Home Menu.............hit it then I didn't press agree........still had the Bing set in place of Google as my search engine............now no way to have google search.....except set Google as Home Page. This really is pissing me off with Verizon.

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9550 Verizon

Greeting and Salutations my angry VZW/Blackberry friends.  Well I spent 30 minutes with VZW tech support before they transferred me over to RIM.  I told RIM what was happening and they read me this statement "VZW has partnered with Microsoft and will begin pushing BING to all 9530, 9550 and 9630 smartphones immediately.  You will no longer have options for your search engines unless you download the app from the blackberry app store.  We are sorry this has occurred but RIM has no control over the software that VZW chooses to use."  I find it hard to believe (I really don't just wanted to say that) that VZW has not briefed their customer service reps or tech support of this change.  Unless they are playing stupid which is really no change for these areas.  

Thanks, that is as was stated. Poo.

Anyways, the good news is... there is a great little app named SearchIt, that is out in beta testing which I've been trying out.

• Switch search site easily from the main screen by pressing the menu (BB) button
  • Option to select default search

Sites currently in SearchIt:

• Google
  • Bing
  • Yahoo
  • IMDB
  • Wikipedia
  • Youtube
  • Dictionary
  • Amazon
  • eBay
  • CrackBerry Forums
  • Flickr
  • AllRecipes

You can download direct from your BlackBerry browser from this URL:

http://wap.shao-soft.com/shao/SearchIt.jad

And more info here:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f35/searchit-new-app-open-beta-385470/

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 2 9550

So... Basically there is no way to re-add Gogle to my search providers?  Wonderful.