Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Trusted Contributor
My Device: BB Passport and Z10
My Carrier: AT&T, and VZW

Re: My search providers disappeared!!!

sdgardne

I installed BING on my BB 9530, it runs as a separate app in its own window.  It hasnt affected my browser either. I still use Google (set up as default) etc...

I always find it interesting how we all have different experiences with these devices

Regular Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9550

[ Edited ]

Like many others, I just discovered that Verizon had replaced Yahoo and Google with Bing.  Besides being probably the world's worst search engine (what can you expect from the company that brought us Vista), the fact that Verizon has forced us to use Bing as our home page search engine (i.e., the page on which we also have history and bookmarks listed) is probably an antitrust violation.  We should all complain to the Justice Department about this issue.

I followed the above instructions to clear my cache.  All that did was allow me to set Google as my home page when I open my browser.   I then have to use the "Go To" command to get to my favorites and web page history.  This is not an acceptable solution.

To say that I am upset with this development is an understatement.

Solutions: 6,421
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Rockrolex wrote:

is probably an antitrust violation.  We should all complain to the Justice Department about this issue.

Definatelty not an anti-trust violation. Perhaps you are confused about what composes an anti-trust violation.

Nevertheless, several solutions have been offered which most are ignoring:

"

If anyone has complaints to make, they should go to a Verizon Wireless forum

http://forums.verizon.com/

http://www.myvusers.com/"

And, hide the Bing icon, don't click on it. Your browser will not infiltrated. For those who already have bing, too late.

Anyway, I think Verizon doing this is just as stupid as it comes. But complaining to Verizon is the route. RIM and BlackBerry have no business in it.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: BlackBerry Storm2 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]
Hey everyone! I've set up a website and petition to help get Verizon's attention concerning this issue. It's still a work in progress, but I'd love to have you check it out and let me know what you think...

If you'd like to help get Google (and the other search engine options) back on Verizon, please visit:

shameonyouverizonwireless.com

Again, feel free to give me feedback and suggestions! We can do this!

You can also follow the cause at twitter.com/shameonyouvzw

Spread the word!

-Jeffrey

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

JSanders wrote:

Anyway, I think Verizon doing this is just as stupid as it comes. But complaining to Verizon is the route. RIM and BlackBerry have no business in it.

Well, complaining to Verizon is certainly something we (who are angered by this change) should all be doing.  But complaining 'everywhere' is what we should ALSO be doing.

Simply complaining to Verizon is only going to be so effective, but generating bad press for them at every turn and avenue is another story.  The BlackBerry Support Community Forums are a logical and great venue for us to voice these complaints, as is Digg, Engadget, etc etc..  Imagine if a decision maker drove home and passed by graffiti that said 'VZW give our BBs back their Google search from the browser start page!"  Sure they may think 'wow, I have some off kilter punks in my neighborhood who are strangely afluent in technology' but they may ALSO think 'perhaps we did go to far', and there in lies the dream...  Silcence is the only mistake we could make!

Viva the revolution!

My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: VZW

The same thing happened to me. If you use blackberry device manager. And you have a saved profile with a previous browser that contained all your search engines, you can used the advanced transfer to replace your new browser with your old browser. PROBLEM SOLVED. Takes about 2mins if you know what your doing.

Hope this helps.

-Joe

P.S. Cant believe all the anger on this site.. Chill out people and find an answer.. NOT BITCH about verizon, RIM or anything else.. There is always a way....