Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: O2 UK

My torch doesn't connect to 2G

Hello everybody, I have an issue with my Torch 9800, It works fine with 3G but when I'm in poor 3G coverage area it doesnt want to work with 2G network or reboot itself. In the best case it connects with the 2G network for a couple of minutes and then drops the signal. I've tryed everything possible including software upgrade/downgrade (now I'm running the last 6.0.0.666 version), rebooting, switching to 2G only from Mobile network options but for some reason it doesn't want to work with 2G network which is very annoying when traveling somewhere cause the last time I was traveling to Manchester my mates' Bold phone was working with GPRS coverage and mine wasnt (same carrier). I also tried different SIM card but the result is the same.

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: My torch doesn't connect to 2G

I suggest you have the HRT resent to your device (Host Routing Table).
the fact that you also tried with another SIM card excludes any action that could be taken by O2 UK (unless you bought the phone with them).

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Well I noticed that sometimes it connnects to the 2G network and switches to EDGE but thats not for more than a minute before it drops the signal again.

Guru I

If you force it to use 2G, it will not try to switch to 3G. Trust me. I live in an area where my supermarket has almost no 3G signal. Forcing 2G is the solution in those cases.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply mate but as I already mentioned I dont have problems with the 3G network, I have problems when 3G coverage is poor and I cant use the 2G one.

New Contributor

So after a time spent in no connectivity to 2G network the phone worked on it for 2 days without any problems and then began not to connect to the 2G netowork again. In the Profile String section from the Engineering Screen I can see msgs like Downlink Signalling Failure, RAU Failure and T3168 - No assignment.

Guru I

the engineering screen information can be used by a O2 hotline person. Contact them and have them get the 2G working for your device.

New Contributor
My Carrier: Verizon

Hi, same here. My BB Torch 9800 doesn't connect to 2G anymore. Though, I'm not having problems with 3G connectivity cause to work well with. But, I spend most times in a remote area where 3G isn't present, and my subscription always got wasted. I have tried many solutions be it hard or software, the problem persist. Please, what's the solution.