Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Cruve 8530
My Carrier: Sprint

My yahoo email was hacked into via my Blackberry 8530 Curve

My yahoo email was hacked into as I opened an email on my Blackberry 8530 curve.  They were able to change my email password, steal and delete my contact list, send all my contacts and email saying I was in London and desperately needed $1500 and set up an alternate email in Yahoo so that if some questioned the email requesting money they would reply it was really me.  Is there anything I can use to protect the Blackberry phone from this type of thing from happening.  Nortons phone security doesn't work with RIM  Thanks for any help

Jack

You should also know YAHOO was of now help at all in helping or even stopping this from going on.  They only respond with canned emails.

Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: My yahoo email was hacked into via my Blackberry 8530 Curve

Please explain how you suspect this was done "as I opened an email on my Blackberry 8530 curve".

Who is "they"? Did you give them access to use your BlackBerry or what?

Details, please.

So far what you've described is not possible, unless the "hackers" have your device in hand, and know your password.

Or, they can hack your yahoo account on the internet by guessing passwords. That has nothing to do with a Blackberry.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

They are the person(s) who did this.  I only opened an email that was on my YAHOO account from my Blackberry, the email said it was from YAHOO and when I saw what it was requesting (for me to change my password) I closed it and did nothing else.  In less than 30 minutes I got a phone call from my daughter asking me what was going on emails had gone out to everyone in my YHAOO contacts list,

I did not give anyone my password and it is a combination of letter and numbers.  I did not open that email on my PC.  So if it is imposable, it happened,  Blackberry has my email password, which is how they POP the mail to the phone and that is all a hacker needs.  Also there is Norton's cell phone security software so someone must have thought of this because there are products to help protect against it.   What I am looking for is what will run on the BlackBerry to protect my phone, and to let people know it can happens to them so be careful.

Thanks Jack

Jack,

No one hacked your BlackBerry. No one.

Someone hacked your yahoo email account. Correct.

The two are not indivisible. ANYone, ANYwhere could sit at a PC or use hacking and illegal password penetration software available to those that want it, to devise your password.

You do realize that your Yahoo email account is accessible from anywhere in the world there is an internet connect — not just from your BlackBerry, right? So a hacker from Siberia or Springville could be hacking your Yahoo account.

It didn't come from your BlackBerry.

And the Norton's Internet Security software you're asking about? There's a reason it is not made for BlackBerrys. It's not needed. Yours would the FIRST BlackBerry to be hacked.

Go change your Yahoo password and secure it.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Let me rephrase, first I know that the internet is world wide, I use to run a multinational software house, and spent 20 years with IBM's IBAX division.  Secondly I know they hacked my email YAHOO account, but it is either a real coincidence that at the time I opened a yahoo email on my BlackBerry that my email account was hacked into.  My laptop and my desktop were not on and the only device I was on was my BlackBerry.  The timing of the emails were within minutes to the time I opened the YAHOO email on my BlackBerry, again it could be a coincidence.

If it is imposable for a hacker to use my BlackBerry connection to access my yahoo account, or run a script of some sort, then I am wrong. 

I have already moved to GMAIL and beefed up my password.

Thanks for the assistance.

Jack

jrichard wrote:

If it is imposable for a hacker to use my BlackBerry connection to access my yahoo account, or run a script of some sort, then I am wrong. 

It is impossible. You would the first and the tech media would storming your door to learn of the hacked BlackBerry. Will it ever happen? Perhaps, but it has not yet.

The old "hack an email or Facebook account and appeal the user's friends you are in London without funds after a pickpocket" is pretty common. I got one from a friend on Facebook just last month. I immediately call the phone number I KNEW was good and alerted him.

Be thankful you family member who alerted you was able to do so.

Good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8530

I got my first Blackberry this week, set up my yahoo e-mail through the Email Setup so e-mail comes through the Message center and within 12 hours everyone in my address book received a spam e-mail from my yahoo e-mail account.  I've had this yahoo e-mail account for years and never had this happen.  Based on this thread, I wonder if what is claimed to be impossible is possible.  I really doubt this is a coincidence.  I think the folks at Blackberry need to reassess the integrity of their security system.

Did you let someone have your BlackBerry for enough time to have emailed each of your contacts? If so, then its possible. If not, then your BlackBerry service was not the source of your spam nor lack of security. Yes, it was a coincidence. Sorry.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Curve 8530

Thanks for the response.  No one else used my phone.  Unfortunately, I'm still skeptical of your conclusion.  I have disabled the yahoo e-mail through my Blackberry message center and changed the password on my yahoo e-mail account.  Fortunately, I have had no further occurrences over the past few days.  To regain some confidence in the security, I feel inclined to create a new yahoo e-mail account, add some contacts, enable it through my Blackberry message center and see if the same thing happens.  Any thoughts on that?

richardcm wrote:

Thanks for the response.  No one else used my phone.  Unfortunately, I'm still skeptical of your conclusion.  I have disabled the yahoo e-mail through my Blackberry message center and changed the password on my yahoo e-mail account.  Fortunately, I have had no further occurrences over the past few days.  To regain some confidence in the security, I feel inclined to create a new yahoo e-mail account, add some contacts, enable it through my Blackberry message center and see if the same thing happens.  Any thoughts on that?

omg, your Yahoo account was hacked probably from India or China or Turkey, by running password code breaking software on the account. The hackers do this ALL day long and ALL night long across the internet guessing passwords combos.

It has nothing do with your BlackBerry. Your BlackBerry email data is encrypted. Your PC or internet connection to your Yahoo account is very likely not.

Your "test" won't prove anything.

Knowledge Base Updates