Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

MySpace App Security Concerns ? Are there any?

We run a Black Berry Enterprise server.  An enterprise user of ours wants to start using the MySpace Blackberry App.  Our acceptable usage policy says nothing should be installed on anything, without talking to IT first.   
We would trust our people not to use this on company time, that isn’t the problem.  We have sensitive emails on our Blackberry’s and would not want MySpace or any other BlackBerry apps being another attack vector.  We are always thinking about PCI Compliance every move we make.  Since the MySpace app was written in conjunction with RIM and MySpace I would take it that it is secure, however social networking sites do not have the best reputation for security.
What have other enterprises done regarding the MySpace and other social networking apps?  I know they could be blocked, but we just don’t have a good reason to block them as of right now.  Someone could easily text corporate secrets away just as easy as MySpaceing them away.

I searched the forums here and google looking for answers.  If you can point me to any specific URLS so they could be assessed by Senior Management, I would appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

Re: MySpace App Security Concerns ? Are there any?

I don't know much, but I'm pretty sure that facebook & myspace events go through the mails. Those mails have a special format that Facebook app and MySpace app recognise and swallow. What proves you that those two applications are not able to swallow other types of emails like corporate ones?

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

I didn't understand thats how it worked.  If a mail has a header for Facebook, only facebook should open it.  That isn't the issue. 

Since the Blackberry isn't running people html codes with these apps, it might be better the apps are used instead of the local brower.  There is always the chance of malware / spyware on social networking sites, but anything being exploited on the Blackberry is slim. 

I think these apps are as safe as a weather downloader or news downloader.  There is just so much bad free software on PCs.  These apps are running out of our visability on the BBs, the bb's have no antivirus on them, and they are tied into our corprate email, it is a bit scarry.  At least there is a built in firewall on the Blackberrys, that only allow traffic in/out to certian sites.  We hope at least.

Highlighted
New Contributor

I guess it is complety secure, for any organization.