Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: BOLD 9900
My Carrier: WIND
Accepted Solution

NEW BOLD 9790 bought last night - cant figure out how to text message (spent over 1 hr researching but did not set up BBM and don't want to either) – Some Questions

Top down approach.

I bot the 9790 for texting and for the keyboard so i can use one hand only for texting. ---- Is that possible ?? Is there a switch that lets u use the number/letter keys for numbers only ????? I'm willing to press that single switch to avoid using the 'alt' key b/c my thumbs collide when i press the 'alt' key and the '7' key. ('7' is one of my favourite numbers and i won't let an 'alt' key get in the way of it ......... Smiley Happy

Q1 >>> Can I input text message teleph number without using my second hand to hold down the 'alt' key ???

If i need to use the second hand to hold down the alt key to put in the tel num for A TEXT MESSAGE, then i may be hard pressed to return the unit to the vendor << 

FYI : in the "Messages" envelope icon i see two msgs from BB saying the 'handheld has been registered with the wireless network (one msg dated Feb 28, 2006, and another one yesterday Sep 28th when i bot it)

Q2 >>  When I work my way via the "txt msgs" icon and the "Compose Text Message’ button into the txt msg, then there is a grey area underneath the "To:" field and that area s/b the text msg field, but it is not clickable <<<<<<<<<<<<

-- does that mean i need to set up BBM first ? --- I'm NOT keen to get into the BB community and get a BB pin -- b/c I wanna send a simple text message to my old phone first.

>>>>>> RIM PERSONNEL: WHERE IS UR COVER SHEET IN THE BOX EXPLAINING THIS GREY AREA -- I'm looking at the foldable leaflet that gives instructions on "Send a text message"  and item 4. says "Type a message"

I DONT WANNA RE-INVENT THE WHEEL either -- WHY DOES IT TAKE SO LONG TO SEND MY FIRST TEXT MSG ?????

Q3 >> Do I have to use BBM to text message or can I send over WIND MOBILE system ?

Q4 >> Even if I use BBM

(i remember someone sending me from their BB and don't like the trailer words "sent from my BlackBerry" {it’s nobody’s biz which phone I use):

I don't want the trailer words "sent from my BB" to show up underneath a message -- Can that be eliminated ?

I realize i have less time than i thot to get the 9790 going. So, even tho i already spent more than 10 hours researching before i bot , i'm willing to go the extra mile.

If vendors or BB had a room for letting ppl play with the unit instead of forcing ppl to buy the cat in the bag then the whole operation would be vastly more successful. All that BB needs to do is to give out 100 units to a random set of ppl and pay them $50 each to participate in the survey with questionnaires and critique forms and u have a vastly better product ready for sale. HEINS are u listening ?

The way I'm struggling now, it seems like waste of everyones scarce resources.

BTW, I'm german (germans are critical and have a knack for refining things until it works), I'm over 50 (so New User start up guidance is mandatory) and I am accountant with over 20 yrs experience (so i'm used to research & have a bit more patience and am used to be huffing and puffing to get over the initial hurdles -- but time is money -- Sorry to burn your time on the basics here AGAIN. I'm sure i'm not the first one whining ……  snicker  Smiley Happy .

I'm not using or paying for BES and I can return the unit to the vendor within 14 days in new condition and with less than 30 min called.

I signed up with WIND MOBILE on their $40 all inclusive plan (including Canada wide L/Distance and 1st year free Global texting and micro-fees for Global calling) until Sep 30th 2012.

The way I see this going here, if my Q1 turns out that I need to hold down the alt-key for a numeric text msg (and i don't want to setup a new contact first so the program can refer to it b/c that should not be a requirement for entering a new texting number) then i'll be back in the mall real fast to get the SS Galaxy 3 my wife has been pressing on me. Frankly , BB, When time is money and money under $500 is not an issue, then why monkey around with an 'alt' key. My Saturday morning is flat out gone and I stayed up extra 3 hours last nite till 2am to get this baby going …. Huffin n puffin …  LOL

Thanks in advance for your precious experience and answering my questions.

Contributor

Re: NEW BOLD 9790 bought last night - cant figure out how to text message (spent over 1 hr researching but did not set up BBM and don't want to either) – Some Questions

Edit: the 9900 is not an option as I'm right handed and have small hands and already struggelin with reaching my favourite '7' key ... Thanks again for your considerations.
Contributor

Re: NEW BOLD 9790 bought last night - cant figure out how to text message (spent over 1 hr researching but did not set up BBM and don't want to either) – Some Questions

Add on:
- I followed the instructions and sent the text message and it shows as sent , but it has not been received on the destination phone and I double checked the numbers ...
- I also made sure (in Manage Connections) that "Mobile Network" is check marked and that "Wi-Fi" is connected to my home network .
Thanks again -- it's overcast n cool here
n tonite s/b full moon n there s/b lots of Asian ppl celebrating harvest time .. Cheers.
Contributor

Add on:
If the "To:" field had a function that if I tap on it it brings up a tel number key pad then I don't need the 'alt' key, but the "To:" field does not react -- Can that be changed to bring up a numeric keypad on the touch screen so i can enter the texting phone number?
Contributor

Add on:
Excuse me ------- Please Forget spending time to answer my post. For all the hidden menus there should be a numerical number assigned to each line of menu option so if u know ur way around then u just press the number instead of doing the scrolling. I greatly appreciate that function where I see it on other programs and phones. Also, the 9790 should be taller and should have a 5th row near the very bottom with dedicated number keys , Yes at the bottom ! For easy reach. Also, the text msg area should have dedicated pre-viewable sections for New / Sent / Drafts / etc and i don't see that being available. -------- So, back it goes to the vendor. I looked up Motorolla's Defy Pro for comparison and it appears it does not have a dedicated on-screen numeric keypad and again it combines the all important number keys with letter keys. What a pity when everything in life is numbers at the core ....
I'll be celebrating "Chu_sock" tonite, an Asian type of Harvest celebration.
Enjoy the rest of your day.
One last thing I can't pass up: Totally off topic tho Smiley Happy -- remember how difficult it is to go to sleep at nite without some form of entertainment / snacking / etc ? Only one way to fix it, IMHO : Eat less at nite, no alcohol, AND meditate for 1/2 hour before sleep. It does take some practice but it works, LOL. Took me 40 yrs to realize (mind u , u don't start noticing that problem until a few decades into life, but imagine the time savings possible) ------- ah well we are born to live to 120 but we still bugger ourselves up too soon. Happy Day n Happy Nite for u n thanks for stopping by.
Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

This is BY FAR the most entertaining thread I've read in a while.  You posted a question or three, you added some details, you added some more details, you offered a suggestion for a better phone and marked the thread as Solved, then you closed with some words to live by; words that should take us to 120 years and beyond (no can do on the alcohol advice, though.....some things must be there for my day to be called a success).

Thank you for your thread.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.