Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Developer
My Device: Bold 9650 OS6 (primary), Curve 8530 OS5
My Carrier: Verizon

Need help ASAP... BB update has phone locked up

[ Edited ]
So this morning I receive an email alerting me that there is an update for my BB Curve 8530. Since my home Internet is through Verizon (as is my phone service), I opted to do the update OTA to conserve on my home Internet usage.

It then said it was upgrading from my previous, what I assume was my OS  to 5.0.0.886 and everything was going as normal. The BB screen said...
Overall Restore Progress:
38%

Current Database:
Calendar Options
0%

Elapsed Time:
47:22
During the update, just after it rebooted itself,  I got a blue pop-up (or whatever its called) saying that Mr. Number Callblock was requesting phone permissions. I granted the permissions and it appeared that the software update resumed, but the longer I sit here the more I'm thinking it's locked up. The elapsed time above has not only since ran out but the time has now restarted for the third time and now says...
38%

Current Database:
Calendar Options
0%

Elapsed Time:
22:56

So it's now been over two hours, the update is doing absolutely nothing and in the meantime my phone has been rendered completely useless.

Any suggestions as to what I can do because I don't want to screw anything up. If something happens and I have to go to a Verizon retailer to get it resolved I'll be in a heap of trouble because the closest one to where I live is over an hour away. Plus I've already read posts from other Verizon subscribers with similar problems who were told that Verizon can't (or won't) do anything about it as they have nothing to do with the BB updates.

In the meantime I've been posting on CB trying to get help and after two hours of waiting I've not received one response :-(

PLEASE HELP and please keep in mind that I'm still a BB newbie and use ten cent words LOL.

Thanks in advance to those who reply!

~JavaBrat~
New Developer

Re: Need help ASAP... BB update has phone locked up

Since my last post my phone screen went to white, displayed some error message that was too small to read, rest and the upgrade restarted. This happened when the "Elapsed Time" zeroed out for the fourth time. The screen now says...

4%

Current Database:

Calendar Options

0%

Elapsed Time:

46:52

So it's now been over three hours and I'm getting nowhere fast :-s

~JavaBrat~
Highlighted
New Developer

Re: Need help ASAP... BB update has phone locked up

Well after having dealt with this issue since 9AM (it's now 1:42PM) I lost my patience and pulled the battery out for about a minute then replaced it. As soon as I did that the phone booted up, the update started all over again and was complete in about 10-15 minutes.

Just to verify it worked I checked in the Setup>Options>About and it now says v5.0.0.886 where it previously stated v5.0.0.734. Afterward I looked into some of my apps and all, or at least the majority of, had been reset. So I assume that means it worked... THANK GOD!

~JavaBrat~