Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Need help! Save SMS on device memory

I have looked and looked, but can't figure out how to save my SMS messages on the device memory instead of the SIM card. I'm getting tired of deleting messages.
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Need help! Save SMS on device memory

[ Edited ]

Once an SMS message is received by your phone, it resides on your phone in the Messages folder (if you have it set up to do so) or just the Text Messages folder.  That's as close to having it in device memory as you're going to get.  You can't move the messages to a different location on your phone.

What you can do is do frequent data backups with BlackBerry Desktop Software, which will save the messages in an .ipd file on your PC.  You can then open them with a program that reads .ipd files (but I don't know the name of any offhand).  Clearing them from your phone and/or your SIM card could then be done and you'd still have your messages saved.

Let us know if that helps you.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310
My Carrier: AT&T

Dear MaeradFireLily and BillJ: BillJ's reply was "right on". I agree with what he said ........... If you need an IPD reader, go to https://sites.google.com/site/ipdparse. Download the IPD Parse macro and documentation. It produces text files / reports for several IPD DBs including SMS Messages. After that you can delete the SMS Messages from your phone since you then have a readable backup of those messages. The IPD Parse macro runs on Windows and Excel. Let me know if you have questions or comments. rapanui21. Mike
Highlighted
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Kudos to you, rapanui21, for your help.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.