Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: 9930
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Need help putting a purchased app onto my 9930

I own a 9930 and have recently had to replace with a new one (broken screen).  I puchased an app through AppWorld that I installed on my previous phone, and now want to put it on my new phone.  App World is recognizing that I purchased and own the app, however it just won't let me install it on my new phone.  Please HELP!!  Thanks!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Need help putting a purchased app onto my 9930

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Unfortunately, from "just won't let" you install, it's rather difficult to tell what the issue is. Hence, here are the instructions...please follow them completely and report back with specifics about what does not go as documented.

To re-install your apps, please see this KB:

• KB17625 How to install or transfer previously purchased applications from BlackBerry App World to a BlackBerry smartphone

For more registration key information, see this KB:

• KB18646 How to locate and enter the license key for an application purchased through BlackBerry App World

In some cases, it has been discovered that updates (from AppWorld obtained apps) require additional steps in order to install the update. If the update will not install, please attempt this:

1. Homescreen > Options > Advanced Options > Applications > highlight the app > blackberry_logo.jpg > Delete
  2. AppWorld > MyWorld > Login > highlight the app (if it shows at all, in any state) > blackberry_logo.jpg > Delete
  3. Use either your PC (via Mass Storage Mode) or your BB (via Media > blackberry_logo.jpg > Explore) and find any references (folders, files) to the app. Delete whatever you find. Search both your Device Memory as well as your Media Card.
  4. Use the above AppWorld user guide link to re-install the app -- a new registration/activation key should then be provided

Cheers!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Hi, and thanks for your reply..  Ok, I solved the downloading issue.  I was trying to reinstall from AppWorld on my laptop (tethered to my BB), instead of from my phone directly.  I found the app in the 'uninstalled' section and then reinstalled it.

'Install Successful'

HOWEVER, now when I click on the icon to open the app, I get the following message: "Unable to initialize the database.  Please insure a media card is present and media card encryption is disabled."

I have never seen that message before and don't know where to go to attempt a resolution.  Hoping you can help with that.

Thanks again!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Not knowing what app it is nor if you have (or had) a media card, all I can do is guess that for some reason the app is configured to use a media card, and it is not finding one or is finding one with encryption disabled, and it requires encryption in order to function. But, as I say, that's totally guesswork...can you fill in the blanks? What is the app? Do you have a media card? Do you have encryption active on the media card?

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor

Yes, I can definitely give you more details.  The app is iMissal (a Catholic study app).  I had it installed (and working with no problem) on my previous 9930 (the one with the broken screen) and it was configured exactly the same, as far as I'm aware.  I know for sure that the media card status is exactly the same as on my previous phone.  I honestly don't know if my phone has a media card, but as I say, my current phone is set-up the same way as my previous phone.  Does that help in any way??

Hall of Famer III

Thanks...I don't know anything about that app, but it is interesting that you have the same media card configuration...even more interesting that you don't know if you have one or not. Check this:

• Article ID: KB25172 How to check the available space on a media card from the BlackBerry smartphone

But, again, if you don't even know if you have one, I'm not quite sure how you can be certain that the configuration (re:media card) for this one is truly identical to your old one...

I have one more guess...check this:

• Article ID: KB30076 How to check for an IT Policy on a BlackBerry smartphone

If you are not on BES yet have an IT Policy, then it's possible that whoever provided you with this device did not properly cleanse it first, and that the latent IT Policy may be attempting to enforce something regarding this. There are procedures you can use to cleanse it of an IT Policy.

Good luck and let us know!

New Contributor

OK, I checked the storage specs and there is no media card present, only built-in media storage on my phone.

I also followed the steps to your second link, the one to check for an IT policy.  The only thing showing there is one of the e-mail addresses (not my primary one) that I have set up on this phone.

I then went into the application permissions section of the phone and looked at the resource type, which was set to 'Application Storage'; I changed the setting to 'Memory' and then tried to repoen the application and it worked.   I went back and reset the resource type to 'Application Storage' and tried to reopen the app and it worked again.  Apparently the problem was solved.

I very much appreciate your assistance.

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III

Very good find! I'm glad you figured it out. Cheers and enjoy!