Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Need help with Storm 9530 Uncaught exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError

jagm1088

I hate to say.... I've had no luck as of yet. I even looked at several other communities with no luck.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: playbook 16g,32g, 64g (use this every day still), 2-z10's, Passport
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Need help with Storm 9530 Uncaught exception: java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError

Someone is going to need to speak directly to rim help desk.  Look up their telephone number which is on their web site.  I did this with the playbook and they were great and help me quickly. Someone actually answers the phone too.  If they do give you a hard time because you are out of warranty suggest to them to get on this board and provide a solution or ask them to work with you so you can share the info.  I can't as it is my daughters phone who is rarely here and she uses it just as a phone

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

[ Edited ]

Hi icesord and welcome to the forums!

I got your PM asking for my assistance so if this thread goes from bad to worse it's your fault! Smiley Wink

I have had the same error with third party applications on both my Storm 9530 and Storm 2 9550. I was able to upgrade my 9850 Torch to Blackberry App World v3.1.0.56 without error.

There hasn't been any new Blackberry Technical knowledgebase articles published and I have not read anything official from RIM. I've read as much I could today on this AppWorld uncaught exception issue on most of the major forums as well as ours.

I've read some workarounds but no solid resolutions.

In these situations there is big increase in the number of threads based not on facts but conjecture and speculation. The result is confusion,  more frustrations and nothing gets resolved. So that said up front lets try and fix the issue you have.

Based on what I've read today it appears the upgrade process may not have removed or over written the installed version of AppWorld correctly. The exception may be caused by the differences in the new and old software.

Here's what I think would work based on my experience. I have attached the links to the procedures below.

1) Reboot your device using Safe mode.

When starting the BlackBerry® smartphone, safe mode can be used to prevent third-party applications from running automatically. Safe mode is designed to allow troubleshooting or remove any unwanted applications.

2) Go to your message queue and make sure that any AppWorld upgrade messages are saved and marked read. We can't clear the AppWorld cache be cause we need to be in the app to do it. I would clear your browser cache as well.

4) Delete the installed AppWorld software.

The only Knowledgebase article I could find with the procedure is KB25433   ( I have printed it below. Please note the reference on removing a Secure Digital media card before deleting the software.)

RIM recommends deleting AppWorld on the handheld and I'm sure they are right.

Bifocals would rather use the desktop manager software to first  run a full backup of your device. Then use the application manager to remove AppWorld software from the device. I wouldn't feel all warm and fuzzy using the already malfunctioning device to delete the app.

5) As soon as the device is fully rebooted download and install AppWorld v3.1.0.56. 

You can either use the desktop or use the device Blackberry Browser to access the OTA link. I noticed some users trying to load earlier versions of AppWorld with little success.  If the original problem was indeed caused by 2 mismatched versions why introduce a third?

Well that's all I got! Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in safe mode

KB24714 How to clear the BlackBerry App World cache

BlackBerry Desktop Software Version: 6.0.0 User guide_add or delete applicatons on your device.

KB20451 BlackBerry smartphone performance considerations when content protection is turned on (Secure Digital memory info.)

KB25433 "Error ID: 30222" is received when attempting to download a previously purchased application or theme which no longer appears in BlackBerry App World

Contains the following:

1. Delete the application from the BlackBerry smartphone that is experiencing difficulty (if it is present).
  2. Perform an uninstall of BlackBerry App World from the BlackBerry smartphone.
  3. Power down the BlackBerry smartphone.
  4. If there is an optional Secure Digital memory card installed in the BlackBerry smartphone, remove it temporarily.
  5. Perform a hard reset by removing the battery, waiting one minute, and then replacing it. Do not replace the memory card yet.
  6. From the BlackBerry Browser install BlackBerry App World again.
  7. Launch the BlackBerry App World application and then sign into My World as normal and then navigate to the application.
  8. Attempt to download and install the application again.
  9. Replace the memory card.

While the procedure provided above does not remove any information contained within BlackBerry App World itself, it may be necessary to re-download any applications that have been archived to an external memory card.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530

Hi!

Please let me know if you have a solution because I'm having the same problem Smiley Sad

Thank you for your help!

Regards!

My Device: Storm 9530
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

It's a problem with RIM and their 'Device Data' folder.  It was updated, however it does not include Storm 9530 or 9550.  It has both Storm models labeled as 9500 and 9520.  There is no fix for this problem until RIM updates the file to include the proper device data.  I have another blackberry model which is listed and the upgrade works fine.  I've tried everything possible with my Storm 9530 and as I'm not a developer, I do not know how to add the device data properly.  Hopefully this will be fixed in the near future.  If not, I'm giving up on RIM and Blackberry...

New Contributor
My Device: 9530

I found a kb article from BlackBerry http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB29364 that was posted today.  It outlines the error and the different devices affected.  I will be following this to find the answer. 

The only other thing I noticed between the different BB's I support, was the missing BlackBerry Identity app that is showing up in OS6 and OS7, but not in OS5.  Not sure if this is part of the issue, just noticed it was missing on my 9530.

New Contributor
My Device: storm 1 9530
My Carrier: vodafone

Hi. I have THE very same problem. Same phone. Same version, only I'm vodafone. Help please. Thank u
Solutions: 6,350
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook

One solution is to downgrade your AppWorld.

First, delete what you have at Options > Device > Applications

(or on OS5, Options > Advanced > Applications).

Then, using your BlackBerry browser, navigate to this link for your OS level:

BlackBerry App World v3.0.1.29 [OS7]
BlackBerry App World v3.0.1.29 [OS6]
BlackBerry App World v3.0.1.29 [OS5]

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: storm 9530
My Carrier: telus

[ Edited ]

sounds like BB / RIM are aware of problem,  lets keep track of this KB.

FYI, I deleted App World, when I hard reboot no error on start up. so must be App World app problem.  will wait for RIM to correct problem. 

New Contributor
My Device: 9530

RIM has fixed this for devices running OS5 (see KB29364 Article) by posting a new version (3.1.0.58). I think it has something to do with the new BlackBerry Identity App (RIM's version of single sign on) but I haven't seen any write ups to confirm that. I tested this on my OS5 device and looks good so far.  So if you go to AppWorld and download this new version it should get things working again......