Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: ATT
Accepted Solution

New Blackberry Torch Locking Up

I purchased my Blackberry Torch 7 hrs ago from a local ATT store and since I have activated it, it has locked up on me eight times.  I have read some of the reviews where people have stated that this can be an issue.  Is there a fix because I really like this BB but I need it to be dependable.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: New Blackberry Torch Locking Up

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Congratulations on the new device!

If we can't get it right, you can send it to me and I'll give you my dependable 9550! Smiley Wink

First thing when troubleshooting a Blackberry, the battery pull or hard reset. (listed below.)

Let us know how it goes!

Thanks,

Bifocals

No data will be lost when doing the following: pull the battery while the device is ON.
Replace after a minute, Let the device reboot 1-3 min, see if the problem is fixed.

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor

Thank you for the welcome.

The first thing I did when the devise started locking up was to do a hard reset.  I have been a blackberry user for 8 years and in the past have had to do numerous resets with different blackberries that I have owned.  On this one, I even did a "double reset" meaning that after I pulled the battery and let the phone start up completely, I pulled the battery again and it still didn't seem to help.

On thing that I did do tonight was to deactivate the password lock for the phone and so far so good after 2 1/2 hrs, no locking up.  This does present a problem because my blackberry is used for business and I need to be able to lock my device due to confidential information that I transmit and receive on it.

New Contributor

I figured out the problem with the phone locking up.  It wasn't the lock and password feature.  For some reason my phone didn't like that I put an 8g memory card in it with over 5g of data on it.  I deleted most of the data on the card, did a hard restart, and the phone has worked flawlessly all day and no locking up.

Visitor
My Device: Not Specified

Sorry, no memory card in the device at all and still locks up over and over.  Anybody have any fixes?

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry torch
My Carrier: att

My Torch is a week old. Screen and Keyboard has locked up three times... where as I could not enter my password ...had to pull battery.

New Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch

Like others in this thread I have to lock my device due to it being used for business.  95% of the time when I unlock my phone it locks up and becomes unresponsive for 5-10 seconds.  This is incredibly annoying and I hope its resolved in whatever OS updates RIM has planned.  I am getting use to most of the other changes on the phone (loved my 9700) but this locking up is about enough to make me want to use another device. I have pulled the battery and have limited info on the memory card so those are not issues.

My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Having the same problem.  Unit becomes momentarily unresponsive every time the PIN is entered.  This varies from 3 -15 seconds or more.  Not using a PIN is not an option as this is policy applied from the BES and is not user configurable.  As encryption is enabled, I suspect that this lag may be related to the unit decrypting content.  This is by far where I experience this issue the most and it is consistent as it always occurs at login but rarely do I see it repeated later during the same session.

I am hoping that this is a software issue that will be addressed quickly.

New Contributor
My Device: Torch

I replaced a Torch for a similar issue. The replacement does the same thing. Here's what happens: The phone will be sitting in the holster and I'll receive a call. I try to answer the call but all of the physical buttons (keyboard, mouse, blackberry key, etc.) are frozen. The touch screen, however, is functioning. A battery pull fixes it for a while. I didnt load any apps on the 2nd Torch just to be sure that wasnt the issue. I thought it might have something to do with my Bluetooth headset (Im just grabbing at straws at this point). That wasnt it.

Here is what I've tried:

New sim card
removed SD card
removed all downloaded apps
"wiped" phone
Many many battery pulls
removed all email accounts (except for 'desktop')

Stopped using Bluetooth

On the 2nd Torch, I did absolutely no customization of the settings (even used ATT wall paper and ringtone), downloaded no apps and changed the sim card.  Still have the issue.

Is it possible that my old Bold case (with the big magnet) might be causing this issue?  I get a thrid Torch on Monday and will try no case.

Really frustrating

New Contributor
My Device: Torch

By the way, my definition of "locked up" is full blown frozen phone (not for 15 seconds).