Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9720
My Carrier: EE

New Blackberry, huge increase in data usage

Hi,

After 2 years with a Blackberry 8520, which I just used to keep track of emails and browse occasionally, I have upgraded to a Blackberry 9720.  With the 8520, my data usage each month never went above 33MB, so the advisor I saw at EE said that I could reduce the data allowance to 100MB and still have plenty.  Since having the new phone, I have been checking the data usage with an Orange app and after just 5 days, I am at 20MB used.  This is despite me uninstalling any other applications that may use data and deliberately avoiding the browser.  Even about 10 emails a day without attachments are hitting me for 2 to 3MB data usage.

Does the 9720 still use compressed data - I know the new OS10 models don't - as that is what I was told.  If it does, is there anything else it could be?  I'm now thinking that getting a new phone is going to cost me 10 times the data I used to use even if I don't use even half the functionality.

Good job I didn't throw away the 8520 as I might be resurrecting it: it may have been as basic as they come but it least it didn't cost me a fortune in out-of-bundle data...

Rich Goodchild.

Developer
My Device: BlackBerry Limited Edition Z10, BlackBerry Playbook
My Carrier: Idea

Re: New Blackberry, huge increase in data usage

Try turning off Mobile Data when you don't use it. Like while sleeping and all. Helps me. Smiley Happy

Click on Like Button if I helped you. Accept As SolutionIf my response solved your problem.
Solutions: 6,375
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Yes, the 9720 still uses the compressed BIS network.

High data usage is not uncommon when first using the device, you should see it normalize.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Thanks: I always do though and have Auto on/off set.  As I say, I'm not using the phone any differently to the previous one and if anything am using it less for data until I can get to grips with this.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the advice.  What are the reasons for the high usage initially and normalising: I'm interested to know.  I'm continuing with the same provider, so is it something to do with the phone when it's first in use?

New Contributor

Just a thought, but is there any way to see what applications are using what data on the Blackberry?  At least that way I can see if there's something hoovering up data that I'm not aware of.

Lots of reasons.

The 9720 is using 3G and 4G network isn't?

Your 8520 used EDGE, not even 3G. Lots more data can move in 3G and 4G.

The 9720 is a more media savvy device, more data will be used. And it's brand new? You're using it more.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I understand the logic there, but I am actively avoiding the browser and any emails with attachments, I am picking up on a PC, so I'm actually using the new phone a lot less. Although the 3G network is faster, I'm assuming it doesn't use more data? Is there a physical reason for a higher initial data usage or was your point that more data is often used intially as the phone is explored and used for more applications? If so, I'm pretty sure that I'm avoiding those factors and still have a big problem!

What have you deleted?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I've deleted the Blackberry Protect, Facebook and Twitter apps, turned off GPS and have made sure that the "data while roaming" option is set to off, even though I don't roam with the handset.