Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry Torch 9810
My Carrier: Rogers

New Torch 9810 Wifi problems

So, I just got this new Rogers phone, and I popped by SIM card out of my old phone, which was a Motorola Quench, and put it into the Blackberry Torch 9810 and got everything settled in, until I began to try and use my wifi. For some reason, the wifi won't work unless I have the data plan "On", which obviously means that my torch isn't actually connected to the wifi, but is just using my data plan. Now, I do not have a good data plan, and I have heard that there is speculations that when you switch from an android to a BB, that when you do the data plan won't allow for Wifi BB going from an android. Can I get a clarification on this, as well as a potential fix? I have tried skimming many different forums on the same question, but they are out dated and I figured this would be my best bet.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG853), Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: New Torch 9810 Wifi problems

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Actually, the "data services" selection is not quite as simple as that. Rather, on earlier OS levels, turning it OFF would forbid the use of BB-level data services via any pathway at all, but might allow non-BB data services via WiFi. On later OS levels, turning it OFF would force all data services, including BB-level services, to avoid the carrier data network, and force them to solely use WiFi (so that you can continue to use voice services, but data avoids the carrier network).

In general, the BB will automatically prefer WiFi for all data services if it's available, so leaving that setting ON is the recommended method to allow that automation to work. There are some exceptions, but that's the general rule.

But, in no cases will you receive BB-level data services unless you subscribe to them from your carrier. Using a SIM from a former Droid might provide you generic data services (but that could be wonky depending on how your specific BB handles the Data Services on/off selection), but not BB-level services...that normally requires subscription to a BB "bolt on" to enable the BB-level services.

You need to talk to Rogers...they deliver all services to your device, and control what should and should not function based on the service plan to which you subscribe.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................