Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

New laptop doesn't recognize 8310

I am configuring a new laptop after my lovely wife spilled wine on my old one (that's another issue!).  I have loaded the desktop software, but when I hook up my 8310 via USB, I get a message on my BB that "USB charging current is not sufficient" and when I launch Application Loader it cannot detect the presence of my BB.  Any suggestions?

My main goal is to at least get my contacts/calendar backed up, because right now they only exist on by BB (Yikes!). 

Thank you!

Brian

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: New laptop doesn't recognize 8310

Hi and welome to the forums!

Don't compute and drink! Smiley Happy Mothers Against Drunk Computing  may get you Smiley Happy

Try to access your BB through the windows my computer, it should come up as a removable drive.

If you can you probabaly have a good USB cable.

If you can't you may have a bad USB cable, but try theses BB USB drivers first:

Download

Please let me know how it works!

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Guru I
My Device: Passport, Playbook, 9320BES
My Carrier: Bouygues _ SFR

golfberry wrote:

I am configuring a new laptop after my lovely wife spilled wine on my old one (that's another issue!).  I have loaded the desktop software, but when I hook up my 8310 via USB, I get a message on my BB that "USB charging current is not sufficient"

from there, you just hit the escape key on your blackberry. That message will disappear, and should be replaced by a question "mass storage ?". Just say yes, and your PC will see the Blackberry as a USB harddrive.

The search box on top-right of this page is your true friend, and the public Knowledge Base too:
New Contributor

Thank you!  I've downloaded the link you gave me and it replaced my old desktop software (4.1) with 4.5, but also eliminated my desktop icon and it no longer shows up when I try to access it through "programs" off the start menu.  So I can't access it.
Guru I

[ Edited ]

Actually I wanted you to get the USB drivers,

The desktop Icon on mine is a blue spotted icon saying desktop manager. If not there, look in systray. If not there,

on your PC go to programs, blackberry, and find desktop manager. Right click on it and select create shortcut, then drag to your desktop. Let me check the link I gave you for the USB drivers, I'll be right back.

Yep that was the right link look on the top for the USB drivers.

Please let me know if you need anything else.

Message Edited by Bifocals on 08-13-2008 04:26 PM

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

New Contributor

What I downloaded was marked "BlackBerry USB and Modem Drivers ENG (DM4.5 B13)" which I'm guessing was what you wanted me to download.  But for some reason what it actually did was replace 4.1 BB Desktop Software with 4.5.  Except that, like I said, it doesn't show up under "programs" - the only thing there is the "read me" file.  I've now done this twice to make sure I wasn't going crazy and it's done the exact same thing both times.

Thanks again and I'm sorry this is such a hassle.

Guru I

No hassle!

Desktop 4.5 is the latest version so that's good.

Did you try to use the USB connector to "see your blackberry in windows my computer?

Trying to establish if you have a good cable.

If you can try sync with Desktop manager, but make sure you set up your options first.

New Contributor

The cable is good - I've tried 3 different ones with the same result.  In my computer it shows up as "removable disk F" and when I click on that, it asks me to put a disk in (which is hard to do in a BB!).

I agree about 4.5 being a good thing, except it's not there (at least not in a way that's accessable).

Thanks again - I'm beginning to think my new laptop may have issues.

Guru I

One reboot your PC

Two remove battery fom phone while it's on, give it 30 seconds and replace

Then try plugging it to computer, then starting up Desktop Software

Let me know!

New Contributor

I rebooted the pc and removed the BB battery.  I can't access desktop software because it's not there, so I reloaded from my disk.  Same result.