Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers
Accepted Solution

New phone- BB ID not working on phone (can't get e-mail)

I just received a replacement Torch (9800) yesterday and I switched everything over from my old phone using the BB desktop software swich phone function.

I haven't received any e-mails from any of my accounts on my new phone, so I went into settings- e-mail accounts to update my settings. When asked to login with my BB ID, it does not recognize my ID (I get the message "The user name is invalid. A user name must be at least 4 characters).

I have confirmed that my username IS valid as it works on my PC and for appworld and I have verified that it is being entered properly.

Rogers technical support cannot explain the problem and they have told me that they are "not trained in BB IDs as that is a "RIM thing"".

Any suggestions would be appreciated- thank you! Nick

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Re: New phone- BB ID not working on phone (can't get e-mail)

Do you have a WiFi conection available?  if so, try doing this using WiFi only.  If it works, you can use your phone as normal.

Hi Wolf- thanks for the quick reply! I've followed your suggestion, but it appears that the phone needs to be connected to the mobile network in order to update e-mail settings. I'm not sure how else I would do this by Wi-Fi only.

Thanks again!

Nick

Forums Veteran III
My Device: Z30 / Playbook

Gotcha, sorry about that.  Turn on your mobile network again and tryy this:

Go to this link from your phone:  mobile.blackberry.com
On that page, Scroll to Communicate, click on Email, choose the type of email account and setup your email from there.

I solved this one by reading through other forums. The reason why my Blackberry ID was not working for my e-mail settings is because the BB ID has nothing to do with e-mail.  I needed to be using a seperate username and password designated for my carriers e-mail settings network.

Since I had forgotten this information, I once again called my carrier (Rogers) and this time I got someone who knew what he was doing. He informed me of my ID and reset my password so that I could login without a problem!

Problem solved.