Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8310

New phone - VERY new user

I just purchased my first PDA/Phone, a BlackBerry Curve 8310.  There is so much on this that I don't even know what I don't know.  Is there a good book on what the BlackBerry's capabilities are, and HOW to access them?  I have seen references to WiFi, does this mean I could "tap into" a hot spot and use the phone?  With a wireless router?  How 'bout recording my youngest daughter saying "Pick up the Phone, Dad!", and then saving that as a personalized ring tone for her?  The sales person said they thought that was possible, but didn't know how.

You get the Idea, look up newbie, BlackBerry, and get my picture.  If there is a good book, I could get to a point where I could ask intelligent questions here.

Thanks for the startup help!

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: New phone - VERY new user

I think you'll find all the information you need online and forums such as this one. One area in which I would recommend you spending some time in is the BlackBerry 101 section which can provide you with a solid foundation on your Blackberry. Click or copy and paste this link to access: http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/blackberry101/. Hope it helps.

--

AvekHost.com

Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Classic- AT&T
My Carrier: AT&T

SeaDragon...Welcome to the club.  I know you can do the recording  Go to recording icon on the Blackberry. record your daughter's message, and save it. Then when you go to Ringtones, hit menu, and you should see the "recording " then select for ring tone. 

Also, I went to Local Book Store (Borders or Barnes and Noble) Ask for "Blackberry Curve for Dummies" For Curve and Pearl)..Step by step instructions for many functions of the Curve.

Good Luck!

Writer~

Thanks,

Writer~
New Contributor

That looks like a good starting place, thanks!
New Contributor

Ok, this is embarassing, but I don't have a recording icon...  I have a Curve 8310I have tried to go through any icon that might have a record choice in it, but I didn't find oneAm I missing it, or does this model not have oneI picked up a BlackBerry for Dummies, but it has no reference to Voice Recording.
Regular Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Classic- AT&T
My Carrier: AT&T

I have the Curve 8330 (Verizon) Maybe its a little different.  My Icon is a microphone , when I scoll over it, the wording says, "Voice Notes Recorder" Click here and you will be able to record your voice (Used initially for notes, and reminders for "TO-DO" stuff. Also, on the Media icon, when you click on it, there are several icons  (Music,Videos,Ring Tones, Pictures, and the last icon isVoice notes - which is the microphone icon). Click here and record.

I am not sure if the Sprint version has this. Let me know

Good Luck!

Writer~

Thanks,

Writer~
Contributor

The 8310 does not have a voicerecorder application included. There is a new OS upgrade being launched that will enable the 8310 to take voice notes and use the camera as a recorder however at the time being you'll loose your GPS benefit. A friend recently upgraded to the new version of the OS and is having problems so I would wait a little bit before updating your device.

As far as getting your daughter on there is a ring tone just have her record a message on your computer and save it as then add it to your media file. Then you should be able to assign it.

New Contributor

[ Edited ]
When I put my phone in the holster it goes into battery save mode automatically all of a sudden it just stopped does anyone know y this happened? Or what I can do to fix it?
Message Edited by yari on 06-12-2008 10:46 PM
Contributor

I do know there is a setting in the phone that enables this feature. However, I have never personally tried to adjust it or tweak it. However it may be under the settings for your ring volume, tones, and ring profile. Start there and hopefully I have pointed you in the right direction.
New Contributor

Thanks! Can u tell me how to access those settings?