Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: Tmobile

Newbie BB bewilderment

Recently purchased a BB bold 9780 3G for use on TMobile (USA).  The phone is solid, love the UMA feature and the user interface is above average in my opinion.   My main reason for puchasing a smartphone was for the use of apps, particularly google apps (mail, maps, etc) while on the go.  Now i have a regular data plan from Tmobile but not BIS and as i have sadly found out i can't use virtually any app that requires data usage (even on my own wifi network) without BIS.  These apps do work temporarily after i pull the battery but revert soon after.  I have a Bible app that i love using while on the train to work but even this app requires BIS to function properly.

Now of course there are very simple solutions to my problem: 1) Just pay the extra $10 a month on top of my dataplan cost for permission to use my own data plan on my own device (not subsidized by the way) 2)  Go for an android device/iphone

Can anyone explain to me why RIM is being so restrictive on this basic feature that other smartphone makers are capitalizing on and achieving success?  Prior to purchasing a BB, i never understood why RIM was loosing so much marketshare to apple and now samsung.  The company's philosophy is too restrictive.  Please forgive me if i am being rather naive about the situation but is their something i'm missing?