Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Playbook
My Carrier: telus

No Andrid App player in 2.0 as promised?

Ok, let me see if I have this right...

Originally in the beta relase of OS 2.0 there was a Android Player app that woudl run all android applications?

However it did not launch with the official release, instead they released software to developers of android apps, and the develeper of those apps could repackage the app to run on the playbook and then they have to submit this to BB's App world, at which time we can then use the app?

If this is right I am so bummed. I was under teh understanding when I purchased my playbook that we woudl have an app player to run android apps, but this isn't really the case is it. It?

Retired
My Device: Q10/Q5/Z10/9930/9860/9310

Re: No Andrid App player in 2.0 as promised?

[ Edited ]

Hey raiven,

Welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

I can definitely help you out.  The Android Runtime player is available in BlackBerry® PlayBook™ 2.0.  It is not a physical application you can access, but all the Android applications are available on BlackBerry® App World.  Once you launch an Android application it will load in the runtime player.

Let me know if you have any more questions. Smiley Happy

-ViciousFerret

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Click  Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor

Well I must have misunderstood what you showed us late last year, and so must have the folks selling it to me.. I understood that the app player would play any android app. However it appears that now we can only get android apps off app world that have been repackaged and submitted to you by their developers. I now have to wait for Netflix to repackage their app and get it to you, and when that will happen, god only knows Smiley Sad

When I bought my tablet I was told that I would be able to run all android apps with the 2.0 release, this is simply just not true, and I feel rather mislead. I had actually returned my android tablet to get the blackberry, thinking I could wait until Feb for netflix....

New Contributor
My Carrier: Virgin

I have to agree. I was also disappointed that not all android apps work. It's also a shame that the layout of the app world is the same boring style. It's much more attractive looking when you open the app world and see the large app windows showing most rated so on so on.... But I really hate all the other apps just being small pictures and no ability to scroll further than page 1.  Come on fellows,, give us more content which is easy to search, why does it have to be a fight to find good apps?

Highlighted
New Contributor

yeah, only getting one page of apps is bad. If you want to browse apps you're SOL.

Trusted Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Z10 White, PlayBook 16g & 64g
My Carrier: ATT

Most simple Adrobber apps can be repackaged for the PB, but serious apps that need buttons need to be rewritten to take advantage of the Bezel Gesture feature.

I agree that BB PB native apps are few but I have yet to see an Adrobber device or app that I care for, but then I'm not a Google conscript either.

Quality apps for the PB will have to be native and not cheezy crossovers like we see in the App World.  The thing to do is contact your favorite Androbber developer and get them to come over to BlackBerry to put quality apps into App World to run on the best portable OS available running on awesome world class hardware.

Androbber = a play on Steve Jobs description of the Android OS!