05-23-2011 11:03 AM
Neon, backup your device, wipe it, and reload the current OS and AppWorld.
You will need to use JL_Cmder to wipe the device and subsequently load the OS to the device. Follow the instructions here:
PIN: C0001B7B4 Display/Scan Bar Code
PIN: C0005A9AA Display/Scan Bar Code
05-23-2011 02:08 PM - edited 05-23-2011 02:10 PM
Neon, I have the same Pearl Flip 8230 you do, and have the same problem. I finally called RIM TechSupp (risked paying US$49 one-time on-demand support charge, but they waived it), who told me:
1. they acknowledge that this is a problem at RIM's end, and not of your doing by simply upgrading AppWorld
2. they know about our *specific problem*
- we "upgraded" to AppWorld 2.0
- we have a sub-5.0 device OS
- we can't upgrade to OS 5.0
- our newly upgraded AW2 icon is listed in Applications
- we don't have an AW icon on our phone and therefore can't use AppWorld
3. they ARE working on a solution for general release
4. if you have current device OS (18.104.22.1684 for 8230 for me on Telus Mobiity in Canada) then a solution for you should be available "fairly soon"
The tech said they couldn't put a timeline on the solution being made available, it being a software problem with unknown implicaitons. They told me they will contact me directly once a solution is available, and I assume they'd post it somewhere where all BB users could find it.
Once I get a solution (give it 2-5 days, the duration of my tech support ticket validity), I'll post here as much as they allow me to.
05-25-2011 01:17 PM
05-25-2011 03:01 PM
05-25-2011 07:38 PM
Some people have issues after upgrading AppWorld : the icon is nowhere to be seen. If you are one of them, please read this article from the public knowledge base:
KB27043 No App World icon exists after upgrading your App World application
If you wish to upgrade the OS on your device to OS5.0, please proceed:
- go here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-
- you get to a discussions list. At the top, the grey topics are called "floated topics"
- among the floated topics, one is named "How to reload your operating system"
- read that topic, it is very comprehensive and no one can miss the upgrade after reading it.
A new version of AppWorld has been released : 22.214.171.124.
it is compatible again with OS4.6 and OS4.7 (especially for Pearl Flip users).
you can get it at http://blackberry.com/appworld .
05-25-2011 08:40 PM - edited 05-25-2011 08:44 PM
As a confirmation (Neon, this is especially for you with your 8230 Pearl Flip), I just downloaded the new AppWorld 126.96.36.199 from within my 8230 browser - it downloaded properly and installed itself as expected.
After the phone rebooted, AppWorld was indeed available from within my 8230 Downloads folder, and when I selected it to run, it opened, asked me to confirm that I accepted the terms and conditions of use, then dropped me into the standard "Featured" apps listing.
Thanks Xandrex, and thanks RIM - GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!