Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Regular Contributor
My Device: Storm 2 9550
My Carrier: Verizon

No Calendar/Datebook Other than Native?

With the wealth of programming in the BB OS, it just seems anomalous that nobody has made a nice, rich and accessible business-type calendar/datebook that can sync with a desktop version so that new items can be typed in, instead of relying on the functional-but-certainly-slower onscreen method. And, so the calendar can be viewed from the desktop when appropriate.

I come from a long history of smartphones, from Kyocera through Palm, etc., and never thought to come up against this particular brick wall. So since RIM hasn't devised one, I thought I'd search the Web Store and find one, but specialized calendars seem to be the rule.

Tried Google Calendar, but so far it won't sync with the RIM datebook.

If anyone has a suggestion, I'd be very grateful.

Don.

BTW, I'm very glad to see that I get both "Preview" and HRt's. A new experience for me on this forum, and thanks to whoever brought it about.

Storm 2 9550
S/W Version 5.0.0.320
File Free: 120135020 Bytes
Apps: Google Maps, MyVerizon, Pandora, Poynt, Slacker Radio,
Washington Post, VCast Song ID, VCast Videos, Visual Voice Mail, Skype

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: No Calendar/Datebook Other than Native?

The device will sync with Outlook (and a few other PIM managers) using the Desktop Manager software.  The BlackBerry doesn't have it's own PIM manager like Palm Desktop.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Regular Contributor

John_Clark,

Thanks for replying. As it happens, I have none of the mentioned software programs, and am hesitant to expend funds on any of them, which are quite costly AFAIK.

Add to that my unwillingness to enrich certain companies, and my hope is that there is a satisfactory third-party piece I can use. Seems not, though.

Again, it astonishes me that there are ovulation calendars (obviously a boon to some people who have that need) but not a plain-vanilla calendar/datebook.

Don.

Storm 2 9550
S/W Version 5.0.0.320

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry PRIV; BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2639; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: AT&T

You can sync to Google Calendar online..You need a Google account and download the Sync app from Google.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Regular Contributor

Yes, so Verizon tells me.

But syncing with the GoogleCalendar seems to mean that if there's anything on the online calendar, it will be written to the handheld, but if there's anything on the handheld, it won't be written to the online.

The techie at Verizon tried to make it work but couldn't.

Don.

Storm 2 9550
S/W Version 5.0.0.320

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAI82), PRIV (AAI795), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

WestofLongBeach wrote:

Again, it astonishes me that there are ovulation calendars (obviously a boon to some people who have that need) but not a plain-vanilla calendar/datebook.

Just to add my opinion (since that's all that is relevant here -- the facts are the facts). I find it remarkably beneficial that RIM does not lock me into one and only one PIM. Further, I find it smart of them to not expend their money trying to build a PIM when there are so many excellent ones already on the market...no need to enter a competitive market that is sure to have negative returns. The solution RIM provides allows tremendous flexibility in my choice of PIM so that I may find, among the list of supported PIMS, the one that works best for me. I do not expect that 100% of the population will be happy with their methodology...but I, for one, am happy with it.

Lastly - I recall we had this discussion in an older thread (perhaps more). You may notice that the answer has not changed.

Best.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................