Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: 9700
My Carrier: tmobile

Re: No Data Plan - Connected to Wi-Fi but No Internet Access?

Two things,

(1) Volvo Manuasl sais the car runs on Gasoline.

(2) Could you please send the manual where Blacberry said that 9700 devices include a WIFI adapter that ONLY WORKS if BIS licenced is purchased additional.  This is what I called abuse of power from Blackberry to olbigate people to buy additional licenses to use something that was already charged.

From the technical perspective additional ilcencing to navigate by WIFI is insane,  if I paid a local carrier to access internet at home/work/etc and I have bougth a device that is WIFI capable, I have the right to surf the internet by using this device wihtout having to pay additional licenses to Blackberry. Simply because device was paid and internet access was paid to that carrier.

I congratulate Blackberry in fixing this problem in the new devices, but as BB is very agressive for revenue, charge people when not appropriate, I have lost total confidence in Blackberry. and as you said I have the right to buy another brand, so I will.

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Whatever. This is a worthless discussion at this point.

The KB is quoted above. You can look it up in the manual yourself. It's there.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: NA

I, resolved subject problem months ago. Thanks for your responses. With little patience,  most of problems of the kind can be resolved,except for SKYPE and for that, too, you can download google voice and forget about SKYPE..    

New Contributor
My Device: 9700 Bold
My Carrier: O2

JSanders wrote:

jespinal wrote:

Thanks for your comment, but this is my last blackberry.  I am not sure of any other crazy idea Blackberry developers may come with to limit my rigths. 

You have no right to the internet. It is not a "right". No more than you have a "right" to toilet paper or Hostess twinkies or to electricity.

One automobile runs off gasoline, another may run off diesel fuel.

If you have a diesel fueled automobile manufactured by Volvo, and you desire it to run on regular gasoline, Volvo is not "abusing" you by forcing you to buy diesel fuel, and you certainly don't have a right to demand that Volvo allow gasoline.

However, you have a choice to purchase an automobile of your liking, fueled by your choice of petrol.

Same with mobile smartphones. Make a choice, but don't claim you're being abused.

Despite the efforts of JSanders to answer the question: this answer ist far awy from making any sense to me. Since the internet is free since the early 90s I never ever will agree to that opinion and it makes obvioously - not any sense at all, not in any context, nor in BBs not any other context. I am in the IT for about 15 years or so. I never had such an issue: not at any single device: not with microsoft, not at apple, not at android, not at ... and yes: I know about BIS - but that is not the case.

I just got an Blackberry Bold 9700 to test with. This wifi problem drove me nuts. I could not believe, that it is really not possible to use Wifi - Internet with mobile data off and thought it was my fault (how silly). It took me hours to figure out that it is really simply NOT posssible with Bold 9700 / OS 6 to connect to the internet wihtout Mobile->Data off. Which has - by design - NOTHING to do with any kind of security (i WORK as an it security expert) but to forces peple using data services. One really hase to realize this: in the year 2010, when this device was common ...

Dear Blackberry stuff: this hightech device will now be worthless computer waste! (and 3 other devices do too). Almost any phone for 50 € can do the same (and more) as this piece of Hardware.

And more: I will never touch a blackberry again.The decision is made: no BB in our company.I don't have time for such silly problems and extra costs. I like to make my own decision what to do with MY device.

Cheers.

@apos

apos wrote:

Despite the efforts of JSanders to answer the question: this answer ist far awy from making any sense to me. Since the internet is free since the early 90s I never ever will agree to that opinion and it makes obvioously - not any sense at all, not in any context, nor in BBs not any other context. I am in the IT for about 15 years or so. I never had such an issue: not at any single device: not with microsoft, not at apple, not at android, not at ... and yes: I know about BIS - but that is not the case.

So being in IT for 15 years didn't make you any smarter did it? No, it doesn't matter what field of endeavor you have embarked on, it's a fact that BIS costs money, it is not free.

The internet is free, access to the internet is not always free.

apos wrote:

And more: I will never touch a blackberry again.The decision is made: no BB in our company.I don't have time for such silly problems and extra costs. I like to make my own decision what to do with MY device.

Get a newer device, OS7+ or BlackBerry10 , and this is not the case.

Your choice.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: 9700 Bold
My Carrier: O2

JSanders wrote:
@apos

apos wrote:

So being in IT for 15 years didn't make you any smarter did it? No, it doesn't matter what field of endeavor you have embarked on, it's a fact that BIS costs money, it is not free.

The internet is free, access to the internet is not always free.

apos wrote:

Get a newer device, OS7+ or BlackBerry10 , and this is not the case.

Your choice.

1, .Totally agree and you are welcome. No problem with BIS. No problem with services and costs. No problem with licence fees. As long as I can choose to use it or not and I am not forced to do so.

2. With all respekt: this is a totally weird argument that "the internet is not always free" and has nothing to do with the fact that BB does reduce the value of a very popular (!) high tech device to merely a "phone". And even more worse: a total usability disaster not to give clear error messages but "... contact you service provider" - whoooo ... sorry - not acceptable. Once misleaded this way, given BB a second chance is very unlikely. Companies seldom change their patterns radically without loosing their soul.

3. Yes, my choice. And as I am a human, also my emotions often lead to my decisions. And I like it. So companies and people just tick concerning hardware - that's what I learned within 15 years ;-) I am sluggish and tend to use what pleases (and pleased) me. I am human, not a machine.

To come to an end:

Unfortunately this discussion will not change the fact that the BB 9700  Bold will be hardware waste now ... ok not exactlely: it will be part to the NON-WORKING ANY MORE DUE TO SOFTWARE RESTRICTIONS section of my little computer museum ... whereas my 2000/iMac still works as a music box without any problems and fees after 15 years. And on a Nokia E61 I still can surf the internet and do email and contacts without any problems and fees after 10 years ;-) Think about this kind of hardware and software design, standards, about what is freedom and you will perhaps guess what I and a lot of others in this forum really ment.

I thank you for your patiance, you kindness (and calmness). As far as I can see without opposition your are a valuable and worthy part of this forum. But what I said, I meant exactly as I wrote it. And I am absolutely fine with mine and with your opinion ;-)

BB: we'll probably connect In another space and time period ;-)

There are literally millions (my guess) of OS 5 and 6 devices (such as as the 9700) still in use.

Those people using them must not think they are a waste of hardware.

Yours may not be Smiley Wink

Anyway, thank you as well for the discussion, good luck.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9700
My Carrier: NA

There are many new smart phones that you can buy for around $100,  much less than a use BB that is useless and do exactly what you want to do without any plan. After facing same problem as yours, I drop my BB drawer for dust to eat it up. 

dn32844 wrote:

There are many new smart phones that you can buy for around $100,  much less than a use BB that is useless and do exactly what you want to do without any plan. After facing same problem as yours, I drop my BB drawer for dust to eat it up. 

@dn32844 dust eats stuff? You must have some bada$$ dust!

Knowledge Base Updates