06-18-2008 01:48 PM
I have just changed from a Pearl to a Curve and have a problem displaying the senders name in the SMS inbox even if they are in my Contacts. I had the same problem on the Pearl but found that if I also saved the contact to the SIM, the name would then appear in the Inbox.
I have tried the same solution on the Curve but it has not worked. It is driving me mad as I don't know who a text message is from.
Anyone know anything which will help
06-20-2008 02:28 AM
I have exactly the same problem. The odd thing is that callers to the phone do correctly display but not people who send SMS.
I think the problem for me is that senders of SMS's are given an international number so the prefix is added - meaning that the number with prefix doesn't match the number (without prefix) that's in my contacts. This makes me wonder if it's to do with my phone thinking I'm located outside the UK (where I live) so is recognising all texts as if they came from abroad - and so adding an international code.
I've looked all through the settings and can't find anything that looks like it might help.
Any ideas anyone?
06-21-2008 06:05 AM
Well spotted. I have added the country code to some of the numbers in my SIM phone book (not my Contacts) and the names are dispayed correctly!!!
If anyone has a better solution please let us know.
07-26-2008 01:08 AM
Hi there Yes, it has to do with the prefix
To fix it go to call log -> smart dialing -> and in "country code" change to your country's code (44 in your case)
That'll fix the name on the messages
08-01-2008 05:28 AM
When you receive the SMS, copy the number of the sender. Open your contact in the address book, and replace the current phone number by pasting the one above. I don't know if it's exactly what you tried.
I have just changed from a Pearl to a Curve and have a problem displaying the senders name in the SMS inbox even if they are in my Contacts.
11-27-2009 08:16 AM
International prefix - thats correct. thats the problem and I have it with the new 9700 3G. Just upgraded from curve.
By default tho your phone will already have +1 or +44 added under stmart dialing. I verified and that doesnt fix anything.
The issue is that all my phone numbers are stored (111)111-1111 format and if you remove the "-" from the number, it will show correctly. You dont need to add +1 to the number.
I have 150+ numbers so the only way I did this was to sync with outlook contact (i created a temp, clean contact folder) then export into Excel, do search and replace fuction and remove "-". Then you can remove the space to if you like. Import that back into outlook and sync with BB.
Thats it. Pain in the butt but when you have so many numbers, you dont have a choice.