Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.
BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)
BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.
"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."
- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com
Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.
10-01-2008 05:35 AM
I am using a BB 8800 with the latest available handheld OS 22.214.171.124 on Vodafone Germany's BIS 2.5.
When replying to or forwarding HTML e-mail messages, non-english characters (German "Umlaute" such as ä ü ß ö) get replaced by strange characters (such as Chinese looking letters, question marks, blanks etc.). On the BB itself the e-mail still looks ok, but somehow the non-english characters get screwed up on their way to the receipients.
The problem persists no matter whether HTML mail is switched on or off on the handheld device. The device language is set to German, by the way.
A resolution or workaround would be greatly appreciated.
11-28-2008 04:55 AM
We are having exactly the same issue. When forwarding or replying to HTML messages, then German Umlaute are not displayed properly at the recipients' e-mail clients (we have tested both Thunderbird 2.0 and Outlook 2007).
We are also using Vodafone Germany BIS 2.5 and BlackBerry Pearl OS 126.96.36.199. Have you found a solution to this problem? Does it help to downgrade to a previous version of the firmware?
Best regards, wma
11-28-2008 06:26 AM
No, we have not tried an OS downgrade on our BB handhelds. However, I assume it would *not* make any difference as the problem also occurs with the BB client on an old Nokia E61 which does not support HTML e-mails and the other functionalities introduced with OS 4.5.
After having addressed the issue to Vodafone Germany several times, also in writing, I finally received a call from a second level tech support employee about two weeks ago. The status as of today is as follows:
- Vodafone Germany confirms this to be a problem
- However, they were having difficulties in tracking the problem further down
- The problem apparently relates to BIS server software, i.e. not to the OS of the handheld
- Vodafone Germany collected a couple of sample e-mails from us to escalate the problem to RIM in the U.S.
I have heard from neither Vodafone nor RIM in the meanwhile. We start to get seriously angry on this and are evaluating to replace our Blackberries with a different solution (e.g. Windows mobile).
The only additional advice I could give you at the moment: Put pressure on Vodafone and RIM to resolve the issue!!
11-28-2008 08:40 AM
Thank you for your message! It's good to hear that most likely it is the BIS server which causes the problem and not the OS firmware. In this case we need not do any changes to our devices, which is good. We have also reported the issue to Vodafone, but have not received a definite answer yet. I hope it will not take for too long to fix the problem.
12-05-2008 09:42 AM
It appears as if the problem has been resolved now. Today I replied to and forwarded a few HTML messages in which Umlaute were displayed OK. Thus it looks like this was indeed a BIS problem and no firmware upgrade is needed on the handheld.
12-08-2008 02:57 AM
I have run a couple of tests, too and can confirm that the problem appears to be fixed. I will keep my fingers crossed, especially since I have not received an official confirmation from Vodafone yet.