Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Non-english characters in e-mails on BIS 2.5/OS 4.5

I am using a BB 8800 with the latest available handheld OS 4.5.0.55 on Vodafone Germany's BIS 2.5.

When replying to or forwarding HTML e-mail messages, non-english characters (German "Umlaute" such as ä ü ß ö) get replaced by strange characters (such as Chinese looking letters, question marks, blanks etc.). On the BB itself the e-mail still looks ok, but somehow the non-english characters get screwed up on their way to the receipients.

The problem persists no matter whether HTML mail is switched on or off on the handheld device. The device language is set to German, by the way.

A resolution or workaround would be greatly appreciated.

Thx,

jhey

New Contributor

Re: Non-english characters in e-mails on BIS 2.5/OS 4.5

We are having exactly the same issue. When forwarding or replying to HTML messages, then German Umlaute are not displayed properly at the recipients' e-mail clients (we have tested both Thunderbird 2.0 and Outlook 2007).

We are also using Vodafone Germany BIS 2.5 and BlackBerry Pearl OS 4.5.0.55. Have you found a solution to this problem? Does it help to downgrade to a previous version of the firmware?

Best regards, wma

New Contributor

No, we have not tried an OS downgrade on our BB handhelds. However, I assume it would *not* make any difference as the problem also occurs with the BB client on an old Nokia E61 which does not support HTML e-mails and the other functionalities introduced with OS 4.5.  

After having addressed the issue to Vodafone Germany several times, also in writing, I finally received a call from a second level tech support employee about two weeks ago. The status as of today is as follows: 

- Vodafone Germany confirms this to be a problem 

- However, they were having difficulties in tracking the problem further down

- The problem apparently relates to BIS server software, i.e. not to the OS of the handheld

- Vodafone Germany collected a couple of sample e-mails from us to escalate the problem to RIM in the U.S.  

I have heard from neither Vodafone nor RIM in the meanwhile. We start to get seriously angry on this and are evaluating to replace our Blackberries with a different solution (e.g. Windows mobile). 

The only additional advice I could give you at the moment: Put pressure on Vodafone and RIM to resolve the issue!! 

-jhey

New Contributor

Thank you for your message! It's good to hear that most likely it is the BIS server which causes the problem and not the OS firmware. In this case we need not do any changes to our devices, which is good. We have also reported the issue to Vodafone, but have not received a definite answer yet. I hope it will not take for too long to fix the problem.

-wma

New Contributor

It appears as if the problem has been resolved now. Today I replied to and forwarded a few HTML messages in which Umlaute were displayed OK. Thus it looks like this was indeed a BIS problem and no firmware upgrade is needed on the handheld.

-wma

New Contributor

I have run a couple of tests, too and can confirm that the problem appears to be fixed. I will keep my fingers crossed, especially since I have not received an official confirmation from Vodafone yet.

jhey