Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 8330 Curve
Accepted Solution

Notification issue

I'm a very recent convert to the Blackberry 'family', and am still playing around with my new device (a Blackberry 8330 Curve). One thing I would like some help with. I've noticed that whenever I have any kind of messages come in (as opposed to voice calls), I find my device is vibrating as well as producing the selected tone. I have been to the "Notification Profile" section of my menu, and found each of the six pre-loaded profiles. I have also found and accessed the "Advanced Options" selection, where a user can adjust/edit the settings for each profile (or even create a new one). However - I note with some surprise, that there are only three options for "Vibration": 1, 2, & 3. There isn't a "0" or "Off"!! How can I turn off my vibrating alert? (For everything.) I don't want to loose that as an option; I just don't need it at the moment. Can someone offer some hints for this, please? Thanks!
My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

Re: Notification issue

Once you go into whatever category (Phone, Messages, etc) that you want to change, just change the Out of Holster and/or In Holster settings.

If you don't want it to Vibrate, change to one that doesn't have Vibrate in the description

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Elite I
My Device: STORM 9550 Verizon <><

WelcSmiley Happyme to the FSmiley Happyrums!

Here is a link from jsanders on a very similar topic..

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/rim/board/message?board.id=8100&thread.id=10158

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Nurse-Berry Smiley Happy Smiley Happy

Hello jmr,

Thank you for getting back to me. My thanks to, to the other poster (so far). I have looked several times now, at the different options available. In particular, I have been able to find how to "edit" each of the pre-loaded profiles that came with my Blacberry 8300. However - even when I try selecting either "Tone" or "None", I still only have "1" as a minimum setting for "Vibrate"! This occurs, regardless of whether I have "Tone" or even "None" set - for both "Out of Holster" and "In Holster"! I'm not a novice to gadgets & software, but this is confusing. Can you offer me anymore hints, please?

Hello cathlab,

Thank you for getting back to me. I tried following the link you gave me. It gave some detailed directions on how to edit a user's notification options. However, regardless of whether I selected "Tone" or "None" (in both "Out of Holster" and "In Holster"), I still couldn't find a way to set "0" or 'none' for vibration. Any more ideas? All of which will be gladly received!

Mute will make it silent. 

My Device: 9800 - OS 6.0.0.246

[ Edited ]

So when you set both holster settings to None the phone still vibrates?

Which part of the profile are you changing (Messages, SMS, Calendar, etc)? If you want to change the function for emails you need to edit the Messages section.

Message Edited by jmrmb80 on 12-14-2008 09:06 PM
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
If someone has been helpful please consider giving them kudos by clicking the star to the left of their post.
Remember to resolve your thread by clicking Accepted Solution.
Contributor

Hello cathlab,

That's true. But wouldn't that be kind of like creating another problem, to solve the first one?  Smiley Happy

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought you wanted to turn off the vibration mode and make the phone be silent. Mute would do that.  Now if you want it to ring or what not, just change it to tone and select your ringtone.

Hello jmr,

I was going into each option (messages, alerts, phone, etc.) under "Out of Holster" and "In Holster", and checking whether I had "Tone" set or something else. Since sending out my last message, this vibration issue seems to have stopped. Does a user have to "re-boot" their Blackberry, in order for such sound changes to be properly active? Strange...  I will check I have the "Messages" section properly edited; thanks for that tip.