Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Notification (sound/tone) doesn't work while backlight is off

[ Edited ]

I am using the BB Storm with firmware .75 on verizons network. I am currently following this issue across some lines of the BBs.  When i would receive a SMS/Email/Pin the only thing I would hear if I listened closely was a slight click and the only way I would know I had a message was because of the red indicator. This would only happen when the backlight was off.  If I was using the phone, or the backlight was ON when I received a message, it would work seemlessly.

This was very frustrating so I called verizon blackberry tech support and he said to try a hard reset(back to factory) or take it to the store and get it swapped out(I am within my 30 days).

So I took it to the store and got a new one, came back home and set my ringtones back up. I finally started catching on when the new phone worked the same way! The thing that clued me in was that I forgot to customize my email tone(left it set to stock) and that was the only tone I would hear out of the three. I ended up setting all of my tones to BBPro_Sanguine and everything works perfectly now.

The problem ring tones were lightspeed as my sms and cricket as my pin tones....both of which dont work.  My theory is that the Notifier_(ringtone) class doesnt play well when the backlight is off(sleeping).

Bottom line is that there seems to be some issues with certain tones.  If you know of tones that work fine, or ones that have issues when the backlight is OFF, please list them below.  

Thank you for your future replies.

-Michael

Message Edited by unloader on 02-24-2009 01:45 AM
Message Edited by unloader on 02-24-2009 01:47 AM
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Re: Notification (sound/tone) doesn't work while backlight is off

Thanks for posting that solution!

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

My Device: Not Specified

THANK YOU SO MUCH for posting this!!!

This was one of a few issues that I was having with my new BB Storm and it was driving me crazy.  I'm new to owning a BB and I was really getting frustrated with quite a few things.  I spent a lot of time on *different* website but I was not getting the answers/solutions to my issues.  I did some more researching and found this forum - thank goodness!

Anyway, this was one of my issues.  I, too, had the 'cricket' sound, but for my BB messenger.  I absolutely cannot miss anything from my hubby as we are separated physically because of his work.  I was getting so frustrated missing his BB messenger texts until I came here and read this.  I changed my BB messenger sound to something other than a "notifier_" sound and this has completely resolved my issue.

Like I said, I had a few other issues and had already returned my first BB Storm for this second one.  I was seriously very ready to just call it quits and bite the bullet and go buy a completely different phone.  This forum helped me resolve all of my issues and I am very grateful that those of you who do post are so patient and really help try to understand and resolve people's issues. Everyone at some point was new to BB's and it's very nice of you all who know what you're doing to help us newbies out.  I registered  on here just so I could give you all a BIG THANKS!

AJ

Highlighted
My Device: BB Storm

I also registered today because of this problem.  Thank you very much!

So simple but never would have figured that out.