11-25-2008 04:25 PM - edited 11-25-2008 04:28 PM
Yes, the phone has bugs, what what phone doesn't in its initial release.
So far, I absolutely love this phone...even with the bugs. Bugs don't bother me I guess because much like the iphone in its initially release - it'll get fixed. The potential for this phone when working properly is absolutely amazing. I think a lot of the criticisms are a bit unfair for the following reasons:
It's being compared to the iphone. iphone had its share of problems when it first came out and had no other phone for people to compare it to. It was a unique phone that people couldn't "fall back" on another phone - so the complaints were minimal...at least not as bad as for the storm. Now that iphone has had time to fix a lot of its problems, it's the benchmark for touchscreen phones - and deservedly so - it's an amazing phone in itself. And because of the comparisons, every little bug and annoyance is magnified > 10x fold than the iphone would have received. Let's give the storm the amount of time that the iphone had to fix its problems, then we'll see if the storm deserves the criticisms. Only criticisms that I would agree with for now is the lack of wi-fi and the dirt gap around the screen. But still - the Storm, even at this early stage, I think is still an incredible phone. Let's hope they are successful with the bug fixes.
I love the IMs and the camera and emails.
What do you love about it?
11-25-2008 04:47 PM
11-25-2008 05:36 PM
11-25-2008 06:24 PM
I am jumping on the bandwagon I think the phone is phenomenal yes it has several bugs but I can agree no phone is perfect when it first hits the market. Sometimes I dont think it is fair to compare it to the Iphone. The blackberry seems more business oriented to me while the Iphone seems more multimedia (television, ipod etc) I think the blackberry storm will be a power house once the updates are installed as they become available.
11-25-2008 08:06 PM
Finally something I can wrap my head around! I am dizzy with the complaints. No one could have been more disaoppointed than I when I ran into a few bugs... stood outside in the cold two hours before the store opened and got the fourth of ten for that morning... but I wasn't disappointed. This phone is the bomb!!! Tethering is faster than my DSL. Coeverage is consistent. Battery life is strong. The image is freakin incredible in detail. Even now a few tweaks in the options make it faster.
I am a gizmo guy and can faithfully say that this platform is one of the best that I have experienced and it can only get better. All I have to do is remember why I thought the Dare and Voyager didn't quite grab me. Something wasn't quite right with those efforts and the reason is they WEREN'T BlackBerries!!
This phone is not an iPhone and I am glad for that. It is a down and dirty, bare-bones life management tool and no other phone out there can stake claim to that - period. The fact that it has camera, video, media player et al is cool, but those are not indicative of what makes BlackBerry THE phone for the modern professional.
What I hope will happen is that those of us who really like phone will keep each other informed about tips, shortcuts, and every piece of information out there to make this experience better - and develop good lines of communications with the developers for suggestions instead of complaints. For goodness sakes, I read a review on the phone that complained about the browser's inability to go to the bottom of the page other than by thumbing the screen - you would think that a critic would know the shortcut is to thumb the keyboard up and press [B].
I am confident this phone will blow the doors off most phones out there and it is by far the best phone Verizon has ever gotten first dibs on...
Time for life... (LOL!!)
11-25-2008 09:23 PM
Glad to see this thread ... I posted the msg below in another one listed as "Bugs" & I was getting sick of people that have no patience to enjoy a marvelous piece of device!! Below is my 2 cents ...
Folks - it is very easy to complain and be negative, but reality is that this is a great product and it came out a bit too early. The screen resolution & watching the video is just great. RIM is well known to be responsive and they will fix a lot of this soon. I have experiecnced very litle issues so far and I have been using it for 3 days. There a few things I did to make this an exciting experience - some of the hints I found on this forum.
1. Updated my BB using the Desktop Manager and made sure I have the latest version that you can see on the Options/About screen - Version 184.108.40.206 (Platform 220.127.116.11).
2. Then used the Keyrate and Tap settings as mentioned on one of the forum (Kayrate=Normal, Tap=400, Hover=100 and Swipe=3). This was the BEST suggestion as it significantly improved speed and usability.
3. Removed some apps by going to Options/Advanced - things like Voice mail, AIM, Facebook, etc. that I do not need and bingo it became faster!!
THE GOOD STUFF:
1. I just went on a long drive and the VZ Navigator GPS works perfect and to the dot! This ofcourse requires the $10/mo subscription, but it is great. The regular Google Maps is not that accurate and is slow.
2. The camea and video has been great for me so far. No issues. Pictures are sharp.
3. The synchronization to Outlook 2007 was flawless - all contacts and calendar events synced up great! The desktop manager has been good to me. The Media Manager (Roxio) also has been great and I can drag the pics and music I need from my desktop and transfer to the BB in a zip.
4. THe emials and SMS have worked perfectly for me.
1. Not too impressed with the tactile feedback. It does lead to errors a lot. I am sure RIM will enhance this soon. WHAT I WOULD LOVE RIM TO DO IS TO ADD A SLIDE-OUT PHYSICAL KBD. THat will make this Storm a real STORM!!
2. Lack of multiple alarms is a big bummer.
3. Ability to control the lenght of the ring tones is another bummer.
4. BIGGEST negative is that RIM missed the STAND-BY mode so the screen does not come on every time you touch it accidentally and hence drain the battery.
5. Another thing I would like is the ability to LOCK individual apps instead of the entire device. For example, ability to lock the access to Contacts, Options, Email folders, etc. would have been nice. Even my old Motorola V710 flip phone had this feature!
6. Another big pain is the flaw in the accelerometer since it does not turn when needed. I also noticed that when you read emails with the charging connector on TOP and click on a YouTube video link in the email the video plays upside-down!! So, you have to FLIP to watch video. This appears to be a bug I think. Anyone else seen this??
7. and a few more ... but this is a good start for RIM to think of.
Thanks for reading!!
11-25-2008 11:04 PM
11-26-2008 12:39 AM
11-26-2008 12:51 AM
So far so good for me. I'm new to the Blackberry crowd, but I am also a "gadget gal" as my husband calls me. I love gadgets and this was just another gadget for me to conquer....LOL It took me a little while to figure things out, but once I got them figured out it's been a pretty awesome little phone. I did have trouble in the beginning with the software that was given to me with the phone, it had no Media Manager so I wasn't able to load my movies onto my phone...one of the reasons I got it. I am not really happy with the software, once I got it off the internet, although it allows me to do what I need to do. I wish there was another way as it takes FOREVER for the conversion. I have an MP3, etc converter for my Zune and it worked to convert the movies, but once I try to use the Roxio to get it uploaded to my phone, it really takes a long time.......ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR THIS??
Also, I have Worldmate Live, which I was really looking forward to having, as I will be doing a lot of travelling soon. The only thing I'm not happy with, and if someone can figure out a way to cure this problem I'd sure like to know........I have tried everything to get rid of the keyboard when I have the Worldmate Live going. The keyboard will not go away, I even checked in the options, etc and can't find anything to make it disappear. Does anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions as to how to correct this? And lastly on this, I flip the phone to Landscape and it won't flip when I have Worldmate Live running.......is this just something I have to deal with or is there a correction for this?
Other than those couple things, I love the phone.......SO FAR. I like the idea of being able to get online just about anywhere I'm at and the Global part of the phone will come in handy when I'm in the UK in a couple weeks.
Kudos on posting a "GOOD" review instead of the typical complaints. Although I had my few complaints initially, I stuck it out and didn't return my phone......I figured it'd be something easy enough to fix and I found most of the solutions to most of the problems I was having. The above couple problems appear to be the only things, at least right now, that I can't seem to figure out.
If you can help me with these couple things, I'd love to hear from you.....