Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8530
My Carrier: Sprint

Null pointer exception

I have a new (replacement)  8530.

when I tried to restore the data from my old 8530 using desktop manager (v5.01), I got a corrupt address book and a message that said uncaught exception: java.lang.nullpointer exception

Can you help eme get back my address book?  I have over 1000 entries and it would be very hard to replace!

thanks

Super Contributor
My Device: Curve - 8520
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Null pointer exception

This topic refers to your particular problem. Courtesy of tanzim:

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Desktop-Software/Uncaught-exception-java-lang-Null...

Disclaimer: I'm just a regular user like the rest of you. I have spent a lot of time learning the limitations of the Blackberries to know how to fix most problems. If I have suggested a fix, please give a kudo and mark as a solution!

New Contributor

Unfortunately when I tried that, it did not work.  I could not even find my address book on the handheld device. All I found was a last used hints.  So I cleared that, now I only seem to have one person in my address book, and they repeat 5 times!

Super Contributor

Follow the suggestion posted on the 2nd page of that topic. 

Disclaimer: I'm just a regular user like the rest of you. I have spent a lot of time learning the limitations of the Blackberries to know how to fix most problems. If I have suggested a fix, please give a kudo and mark as a solution!

New Contributor

will do!

My fingers are crossed that it doesn't wipe everything out!

thanks

Super Contributor

It should create a backup of applications as well as your contacts during OS installation. Unless you chose not to back up the data...

Highlighted
New Contributor

Bummer. It still didn't work. 

Weird thing is that the desktop manager reports that it sucessfully transfrerred 1036 contacts. But the device itself only shows one name, repeated 5 times.

I went to my office & had the IT support team try to reload an older backup file from one of their computers (I had been trying this from my home computer).  They saw the same toruble.

Is there a technical way to erase all the data & OS from my handheld before I attempt to reload the new OS from Sprint?