Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9790
My Carrier: Orange

Numerous issues with 9790

I upgraded to a 9790 from an older bold model 4 months ago and hate it. The battery life is appalling. Using as a smart phone (checking twitter, facebook etc) means the battery can go from full to completely drained in 10 hours. I can't trust this phone wen i'm out as the attery drains so quickly. It constantly freezes and the unlock button does not respond for upto 10 seconds aftervit was pressed. I loved my old bold, which was the main reason i opted for this one but i wish I had picked something else. If I am having these problems after 4 months, what will the phone be like at the end of my 2 year ontract? Has anyone else experienced these problems?

Contributor
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: TMobile

Re: Numerous issues with 9790

I am also hating my 9790 and wished I hadn't upgraded. Voicemail messages takes hours to come through, battery life awful, sent emails don't show recipients name and instead only show mine so I have to open each email to see who I've sent it to; i can't download apps such as linked in or other useful apps; and this is after only 3 weeks. I have complained but it takes hours to get through.
New Contributor
My Carrier: Starhub

The battery life is really terrible. Somehow when I use the 3G network and certain apps, it drains the battery real fast and the battery heats up real fast. Do you have the heat up problem as well?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

I can't make the phone a better phone, but remember that you can top up BlackBerry phone batteries with a charge at any time for any length of time.  Have a few spare minutes while you're watching TV?  Plug your phone in for a refreshing top up.  The Li-Ion batteries used in BlackBerry devices do not suffer "memory effect" so go ahead and top up whenever you can.

Also don't forget that surfing via Wi-Fi is a great way to extend you battery as well.  Download and install an app that will turn your Wi-Fi on when you're at home (or at a saved Wi-Fi spot in your list) and turn it off when you're out of range.  It's a great way to improve your download speeds and extend your battery at the same time.

I hope I've helped.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

My Carrier: T-Mobile

[ Edited ]

fcns wrote:
I am also hating my 9790 and wished I hadn't upgraded. Voicemail messages takes hours to come through, battery life awful, sent emails don't show recipients name and instead only show mine so I have to open each email to see who I've sent it to; i can't download apps such as linked in or other useful apps; and this is after only 3 weeks. I have complained but it takes hours to get through.

I also have the 9790 on T-Mobile and I do not have any issues that you are experiencing.

Things that help with Battery life is closing apps after you open them. Many apps do not automatically close and can remain open in the background permanently. Also at 10% screen brightness I find the screen is just as bright as the defaulted 50% with auto dim running.  I set it at 10% brightness and turn off auto dim which greatly improves battery life.

I'm not sure what email you use but my gmail, hotmail, tmo.blackberry.net mail, and yahoo all show me who I sent the email to and the title of the email. This feature should not change from older Blackerries to the 9790. In the past on T-Mobile I had the 8900 Curve, the 9700 Bold and then the 9780 Bold before upgrading to the 9790 and the way the message screen displays sent emails and messages have not changed since one bit.

I don't rely much on voicemail for business or emergency stuff but I can't recall any delays in voicemail.

However, my fiance's MyTouch4G experienced the vmail delays that you are having and T-Mobile told her it was something to do with the way her phone was registered thru T-Mobile's account or something. She did a phone wipe and hard reset and the service rep unregistered and re-registered her device with T-Mobile and it solved the issue completely. So you may want to dial 611 and talk to T-Mobile customer service.

Funny thing was she realized after the vmail delay issue was fixed that her battery life improved by what felt like 50%! So it seems that voice mail issue was draining the battery.

Not sure who you are complaining to that 'takes hours to get thru' but I would definately call T-Mobile and not call RIM-Blackberry for the issues you are having.

I upgraded from a 9780 (that served me well for the last 2 years) and the 9790 on T-Mobile in the USA is 1000% better in everyway!

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: TMobile

tks for your reply and all noted. I have been passed from t-mobile to RIM who keep saying its the other. I shall pursue with t-mobile and yes it does take a long time to get through but I'm sure persistence will prevail.