Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: BT

Numerous problems with 8520 but most importantly not receiving hotmail emails

hello,

i have a BB 8520 v4.6.1.272 (platform 4.2.0.118). my phone was working perfectly until it got really wet in my pocket when i was out in torrential rain for a few hours, a week ago. i managed to dry it out and it now works ok, if not a bit slower than before. however there are 3 issues with it now, i was wondering if someone could help me with please?

1. the camera doesn't work. if i try to open the camera, the screen goes black for 5 seconds and then the following message appears - "could not start the camera. close other applications and try opening the camera again". i don't think i have any other applications open so not sure why that comes up - an ideas? i'm not too fussed that the camera doesn't work as it's rubbish anyway but anyone had this problem before?

2.  whenever i do a battery pull, the message "uncaught exception: index 46 >= 46" comes up. if i just click 'ok' then the phone works as usual. i also sometimes get a message saying "uncaught exception: application net_rim_bb_messaging_app (258) is not responding; process terminated" but that only comes up when i am trying to get into my SMS inbox, not BBM. it also only happens infrequently.i'm not too fussed about these error messages either s it's just annoying more than anything, but any ideas how to fix it?

3.  the thing which is bothering me the most is the emails - or lack of it! i used to have my hotmail emails sent to my phone but since the phone got waterlogged, the email inbox button on my menu screen has disappeared, but the messages must still be coming through as i keep getting the envelope icon and red star and the number of emails next to it on my home screen. i have tried a battery pull, many times, and that temporarily does remove the icon but the emails soon start building up again but with nowhere to view them on my phone. on the 'messages' icon, a red star is constantly there, indicating there are unopened messages, but when i click on it, there are no messages there!

please forgive how badly i have described this but i'm not very technical! i have searched for days for answers to these questions but no one else seems to have the exact same problem. i cannot 're-register' my email address on my BB because all it says under 'email setup' is "i want to use a work email address with a blackberry enterprise server". this has always been the case it only saying that, so i have no idea how i originally set up my hotmail account on my BB, i can't remember!

please help and thank you in anticipation.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Numerous problems with 8520 but most importantly not receiving hotmail emails

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

First things first...since I cannot tell exactly what you did when it got wet, I recommend...

REMOVE YOUR BB BATTERY NOW!!!

Run, don't walk, to this FAQ:

Do everything it says, including waiting the maximum recommended time. Applying power to your BB between it getting wet and doing this process reduces the chances of success. Further, the only thing predictable about moisture intrusion into a BB (indeed, any electronic device) is that the results will be unpredictable. I've seen some come back up right away and be fine. I've seen others never work at all. I've seen still others run for a bit, and then die later. And every thing in between.

Next (and this will be at least 5 days from now!!), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• Anytime random strange behavior or sluggishness creeps in, the first thing to do is a battery pop reboot. With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should try deleting and re-adding your BIS configuration for the affected email accounts. Otherwise, you should contact your mobile service provider for formal support, but given your water damage situation, I wouldn't hold out much hope.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: BT

Re: Numerous problems with 8520 but most importantly not receiving hotmail emails

thank you so much for your detailed help, it is most appreciated.

i have followed all the steps, but i do not receive 'activation' message for the KB02830 section. every other step seems to have worked. you also mention, if that doesn't work, to try deleting and re-adding your BIS configuration for the affected email accounts. sorry to be thick, but i don't know how to do that!!

thanks for all your help, i really appreciate it.

Highlighted
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You are most welcome...but...

zildjian09 wrote:

i have followed all the steps

Since it is now Monday and your original report was on Friday, you did not actually do so...the FAQ states to wait 3-5 days and I said to wait the maximum, yet it's been only at most 4 days so far. Then again, if you had previously waited the full 5 days, then perhaps you had already fully completed those steps. But, from your words, I cannot tell.

zildjian09 wrote:

but i do not receive 'activation' message for the KB02830 section. every other step seems to have worked.

Actually, since I had stated to wait for that Activation message to arrive BEFORE proceeding to any more of those steps, then doing so (proceeding) is pointless. What you should now do is contact your mobile service provider for formal support...your BB is unable, for some reason, to communicate properly with their data network...but only they have access to the "behind the scenes" systems to check for problems.

Then again, as I also said concerning a wet BB, it is completely possible that your BB may never work properly, even if you had properly followed all of the steps in the relevant FAQ. But, that's impossible to diagnose at an internet-distance...only a qualified hardware technician, with the device in their hands, can give you a proper determination.

Be prepared as you seek formal support to be refused...a BB that gets wet voids all warranty provisions.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................