Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: 9790

OEM Mono 3.5 wired Headset not properly recognized in Blackberry 9790 - the Headset icon needs to be manually activated each time a call is placed

Hi,

I just switched from Bold 9700 to Blackberry 9790 (running OS 7.1). I noted one issue in the new smartfone that is significant to me as a user. I use OEM Mono 3.5 wired Headsets from Blackberry - have a few pieces of those. I liked them very much and used them with Bold 9700 all the time.

With 9700, the standard behavior was that the phone would automatically recognize the Mono headset when switched on. Unfortunately, this is not the case with 9790. I need to manually activate the Headset icon on the phone each time I call. Otherwise the call simply goes through the handset despite the Mono wired headset being attached to the 9790.

It is important to note that the OEM stereo headset furnished in the box with 9790 does NOT have this issue, i.e. it is automatically recognized whenever it is attached to 9790. I now tried the OEM stereo headset supplied with 9700 and it also does NOT have this issue. The 4-contact PIN on stereo and Mono headsets are the same - well, the stereo headsets do not have the gold connectors but my mono headsets do; this, however cannot be the issue.

I suspect that it could be possibly either because:

1. Blackberry must have put some fancy check in 9790 whereby it examines resistance of the headset. I guess 9790 is very sensitive and for some reason Blackberry decided that their own OEM Mono headset would not be compatible. This would appear a very strange policy/move by Blackberry but anyway.

2. There is an issue with the phone hardware or software. Re: hardware, given that the stereo headsets work fine, it would be unlikely that the phone hardware is faulty. Re: sotware, I tried both  of these software versions and they both have the issue:

9790M_PBr7.1.0_rel1133_PL9.16.0.102_A7.1.0.336_Telenor_Norway.exe

9790jAllLang_PBr7.1.0_rel1648_PL9.16.0.129_A7.1.0.523_Telkomsel.exe

as such, it is unliekly that phone software is to blame.

I tried three or four of the Mono headsets and they all work fine on my BB 9700. All of them have an issue with 9790, though.

Will appreciate any thoughts on this. Would be good to hear what Blackberry has to say about this.