Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: torch
My Carrier: at&t

OK, things no one tells you when you buy a Blackberry Torch!!!

OK being a very new Blackberry Torch owner, and not being told loads of things at the Phone store. What are the Important Apps to have on the Blackberry torch? Like for one, do you need virus protection, or some sort of encryption when viewing your Banks web page etc? What about the time on the phone, does it change while driving across a time line? What about the clutter on the ALL screen, what ALL do your really need? What if you want another blank screen other than Favorites or ALL etc? You get one of these new phones and you don't even kn ow the questions to ask because you have never had one. So any help would be great!

The Phone does so much and just by touching it you can screw it up big time! That kinda sucks. Like putting it in a pocket is out of the question for a guy! This thing can do just anything if in a pocket and it comes unlocked. So now I only throw it on the dash and put it on top the counter instead of carry it around with me at home and away. It is so sensitive to the littlest touch. Are there things to help with that? I don't wear a belt and the pocket clip sucks cause it comes off the pocket easily and you could loose the phone so  very easy using that clip!

OK this is getting to long, sorry,

Thanks in advanceSmiley Happy

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: OK, things no one tells you when you buy a Blackberry Torch!!!

[ Edited ]

I'll try and answer your questions, wx9dx.  Smiley Happy

1. Important Apps - this all depends on your personal tastes.  For me, I can't live without many of the apps from Bellshare (BerryWeather, BerryBuzz and BerryPopup).  There there are apps like Poynt, SocialScope, Twitter, Facebook, etc.  Again, it all depends on what you like to do and what your personal preferences are.
  2. Virus Protection - there are starting to be a few rumblings of viruses creeping into the BlackBerry OS, which has been pretty much the safest OS to date.  There are anti-virus programs available for BlackBerry from Lookout and SmrtGuard.  BlackBerry has also recently come out with an app called Protect, which is designed more to protect your data and find your missing phone, both of which the other two apps I mentioned will do in addition to the anti-virus protection.
  3. Time Zone - Yes, the time on the phone will change according to your time zone.
  4. ALL Screen - I've recommended to many people on this forum to install a theme called Phoenix from AHaz Designs, available through AppWorld for .99.  It elminates the "trays" on the 6.0 OS with a clean, simple home screen with four customizable icons and interchangeable wallpapers.
  5. Touch Screen - Go into Options>Typing and Input>Touchscreen Sensitivity to adjust the sensitivity settings of the device, which should help somewhat.

Hope this satisfactorily answers your questions!  Smiley Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

To that list I would add a screen lock program to prevent the phone from unlocking while in your pocket. I personally use SwipeLock which seems to work very well.

New Contributor

Thanks for the Info on swipe lock! I just look at the apps and I sure don't know what ones are worth the money etc. Being new to this I sure could see how a person could waste loads of time and MONEY on this phone from BlackBerry!!!

Forums Veteran I

[ Edited ]

Most, if not all apps give you a trial period so you see if you'll use or like the app.

There are lots of free ones out there, too.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
New Contributor

Smiley Happy Thanks loads for the advice on the APPS etc! I sure will use this advice today on the phone. If I may ask another Question plzzzzzzzz LOLSmiley Happy   How do you make the touch screen number pad speed dial? I can only speed dial from the slide out keyboard??????????  

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WX9DX

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

If I understand your question properly, you want to know how to add a speed-dial entry. Do the following:

1) add a contact (Contacts -> +),

2) go to phone and make sure the dial number tab is active (it is the one on the left) and shows the phone dial numbers,

3) press the number you want to use for speed-dial and HOLD IT DOWN. In a second or two you will see a pop-up menu asking if you want to add a speed-dial to the selected numeric key. Answer YES.

4) The contact screen will open. Select the contact you want to use for that speed-dial number.

You can then view all of your speed-dial entries as follows:

1) Go to Phone and select the contacts tab,

2) At the bottom of the screen you will see 5 icons. The 4th one from the left shows a screen with the number 2. Select this entry and you will see all of the speed-dial associations.

Hope this helps.

Forums Veteran I

I was just able to use speed dial from the Virtual Keyboard.

If you want to assign a speed dial this way, press and hold the key on the Virtual Keypad that you want to assign, then it should ask you if you want to assign a speed dial to that key.

Let us know how that works for you.