Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 9650 bold
My Carrier: verizon

Re: OS 6 Browser - No column view?!?

I'm with ya on that eric - like I asay only find bolt a merely tolerable solution where word wrap does not work in os6 - also find it is smaller print than desired and awkward/ sluggish sieways scrolling plus easy to lose where I am on the page - However, for me the cell phone page issue alone makes it weorth keeping, in fact a god-sendSmiley Happy Would gladly look at any other browsers downloadable to 9650 os 6 if anybody knows of any - don't know why opera doesn't work - worked fine on my old 8320 Curve
My Device: 9650
My Carrier: Sprint

The lack of a column view is a serious drawback to the otherwise upgraded features of OS 6.0.  The browser is almost unusable.  RIM, wake up!

Super Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10

I 100% aqrgee I can not use it. You could go blind trying to use it and read the website. I do not know know about you but I enjoy seeing. The browser suck I am not sure why they made a big deal about it being better. What I would like to know and see is I do think it is better on the Torch then the Bold or the Cruves. Its like RIM bilt 6OS just around the Torch and not think about how it would run on the others.Now they will not even give us a update to fix some issues that the Torch might not have.  I think people are getting sick of Blackberrys issues and not doing anything about it. Thats why people are going to other smartphones. If it was not for jobs and CO RIM margen is the smartphone war would be tiny.

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Please give me Kudos if you feel like I helped you

Thank you
cuse165
Contributor

Am trying to have a little faith that os 6 will work out for me,. and hopefully RIM will be able to see the need to tweak appropriately with hopefully soon to come upgrades. THough iffy whether os 6 is worth it to me right now - do not want to be too far behind the curve if they come out with future upgrades that are closer to my needs.

I did find a couple things I will try in the meantime. Am told that most versions of opera dont work with the 9650 because they are hyper-sensitive to trackpads, but that there is a 5.2 or 5.2 beta version that is OK with trackpads. THough opera does not load OTA on the 9650 am told it can be loaded through blackberry desktop if you download the software, choose  "applications" in the blackberry desktop and then import the files after the applications show in your desktop (takes a while for desktop to list the applications). I believe the link I was given for the 5.2 opera you load through desktop is "

Dwnld link for 5.2 http://wapreview.com/download/opera-...d-en-fw4.7.zip " (caveat emptor tho - havent checked the link...Smiley Happy

I have also been told that at the Bolt site there is a jad file that  you can download and install that allows Bolt to be the  default browser on your berry. this may be nice because it at least assures you should be able to use a site if you decide to follow a link on whatever page you are using.

More complete desktip loading instructions are below

: Download the .zip file.  Extract the contents to a directory on your PC. Remember the directory into which you extract. There should be two files: operette-hifi-en-fw47. alx  and operette-hifi-en-fw47. cod Connect your phone  to the PC.  Launch Blackberry  Desktop software on your computer.  If you don't have it installed, you can get it from here: BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software In the Blackberry Desktop software, in the left pane,  click on "Applications".  Give it a minute to load the  Apps.  Once they are displayed, click on "Import Files". Point to the directory where you extracted the  contents of the .zip it should find the .alx file. Scroll through the list of apps, and you should see  Opera Mini added to it.  It should have a Green Plus  sign next to it. Click Apply once done.

Contributor

Sorry, but guess the link I gave you above is no good - try http://www.software112.com/products/opera-mini.html for opera 5.2 download

Visitor
My Device: Bold 9650

A less experienced smartphone user than others seem to be, I would like to add thad this browser view/column view problem is a brand killer for me and for my famiily. TSorry- trying. To wrote this on a car trip- can't read, can't correct.y Already spent (iMe searching a
For an answer.
I am grateful to users for solution - returning to +4 5. I need to reset aps so that is a pain!!!

We are considering more purchases, Ipads in particular. With about 7 adultd re-considering at this point in time, I am sorry to say that I am not feeling onfidence in the RIM brand.
Also, my long trips through help avenues have been hugely frustrating. (Using. Bold 9650)
PenelopeL
Contributor
My Device: BOLD 9650 OS 6
My Carrier: Verizon

MY SOLUTION:  Verizon iPhone

OS 6 was a deal-breaker for me.  I really clung to RIM and kept hoping they'd fix things, but the prospect of downgrading back to OS 5 (trading new problems for the same old ones) was too much.

I am very happy with my Verizon iPhone.  I still can't type all that well on the virtual keyboard, but the auto-correct edits are pretty funny to see as I creep up the learning curve (Grandma "Deedah" was changed to "didactic").  I really never thought I'd say this but...

I LOVE my new iPhone.  Its like night and day.  And I can see everything in every app!  Why it wouldn't occur to RIM that people might need to see the content on their tiny, inferior screens is beyond me.  Verizon definitely blew their iPhone add campaign.  Their real target market are all their frustrated BB users. 

See you guys in the Apple forums eventually :-)

Stephie
Contributor

Why the heck is it that forums seem to log me out in the middle of typing a reply. Good news is you are being spared a big page of dribble that I spent "forever" typing with my blaxckberry. Lol

One main point is bb browser often gives my like 3 or 4 size font with no word wrap option (ie here and now). But I do keep Opera running and takes only 10 or 15 to paste a page oe link into Opera, which I frequently do because Opera Rocks. The link below should tell you everything you will need to know to use Opera well.
http://www.digipassion.com/2010/08/some-opera-mini-5xx-tips-and-tricks.html
Contributor

Meant to say only takes 10 to 15 seconds at most to paste a link into Opera if you have it open while browsing lol
Visitor
My Device: 9650
My Carrier: Verizon

If you want to see why zoom is not the answer try the nytimes mobile site.  You would have to have perfect eyesight to read this.  I used to hit column view and it was an easy read.  I have tried zoom and it is next to impossible to read due to time it takes to move back and forth across the lines.  So basically this new version of the os makes it impossible to read the NY Times daily.  I hate to have to switch to an Iphone, RIM can't you just fix this?