Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: 9650 bold
My Carrier: verizon

Re: OS 6 Browser - No column view?!?

Having many experiences much like yours davez. Can think of three different fixes that would make me happy. The obvious one is to bring back Column view as it used to be, but would also be happy if they could either emulate Opera or let you set Opera or other third party browser as default when browsing.

I likely will not switch brands mainly because I like the 9650 keypad and layout too dang much for my type of use and even more looking forward to the "Apollo" as replacement because it brings back the curve style keys. Also have such a legacy of apps and stuff that wouldnt transfer well so too depressing lol. That said am still keeping an eye on a couple of different phones I will consider in case they do not straighten out thier browser situation.
Super Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Q10

There are so many more websites just like the NYTimes.

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
Please give me Kudos if you feel like I helped you

Thank you
cuse165
Contributor
My Device: Z10 STL100-3 S/W 10.1.0.2006 Internet Explorer 10.0.9200.16618
My Carrier: T-Mobile

OS6 Column View BlackBerry Bold 9780 T-Mobile - not buying another Macintosh

[ Edited ]

BlackBerry Bold 9750 T-Mobile

Column View is the best product on the market.  I actually read WebPages waiting for appointments on my old BlackBerry Bold 9700, which replaced my BlackBerry Pearl 8220 Flip.

I offered to Beta the OS6 on the BlackBerry Bold 9700 and when got no reply opted to pony up the money for the 9780.

I had no idea that BlackBerry would render the product useless to read WebPages.  I am not an iPhone user, and have purchased Android product , but could not stand the keyboard.  Now, on keyboards, I fully expected BlackBerry to have spent some time in here reading what 100 percent of us have said, that daily we log on to our BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0.1 fully expecting that we all will find the update waiting for us to load Column View.

And, then to notice that we men have big thumbs we are trying to use the itty-bitty little keys to type with.  It is not a Qwerty keyboard anyway; I spend half my time replying trying to find the characters required.  And, it needs a phone dial pad with the ABC under a 2 and DEF under the 3 key so I can dial in the extension number on the automated attendant.  With BlackBerry, I have come to hate reading or hearing some site say their 800 number is 800 Call BlackBerry.  I would say that the keyboard on the 9780 is a significant improvement over the Pearl 8220 Flip.  Try doing something standard on a keyboard for a cell phone, if you would be so kind please.

In Summary :

(1) BlackBerry OS6 is desperate to add Column View back to its product

(2) BlackBerry is desperate to have a keyboard made for an American man’s thumbs

(3) BlackBerry is desperate to have a product offering with a larger screen for God’s sake.

Alas, instead, BlackBerry is more fascinated with how it can come out with a new product instead which addresses none of these needs and instead demonstrates all RIM does is spend its time figuring out whom they only will allow to sell the new product.

What difference does it matter what carrier you are on ?  Get it together RIM and put the bloody Column View back in.

I was all ready to send you my paycheck and buy your BlackBerry Tablet PlayBook, and then I looked around and you only allow a carrier other than my own, T-Mobile, to sell it.

Does anyone at RIM understand anything about Marketing ?

That answer is as readily apparent as the nose on my face.

And, what gives with the 3G B.S. ?  This is March 2011.  4G folks 4G.

If you would cease and desist with spending all your time at RIM figuring out how not to allow T-Mobile to sell your latest and greatest product, but just only 1 other carrier instead, you might actually come into this thread of this forum discussion and fix your bloody product.

While I am on the topic, the opening Home Screen is a mish-mash All, Favorites, Media, Downloads, Frequent.

Google Maps I can actually talk into my cell phone to by pressing the green handset button with Google Talk, but it cannot read me the directions to my appointment as I drive along ?

I cannot wait for the BlackBerry Bold Pearl Flip 978X – No, wait : that is only being sold by Verizon, whoever they are.

Is there anything else you want to know or ignore of what we need and pay so dearly for ?  I have been buying and using cell phones since 1977.

Give Thumbs-Up if helps you, or say Solution Accepted, or say Like.
Contributor

Column View OS6 Column View BlackBerry Bold 9780 T-Mobile

I presume there is not going to be any further discussion about

COLUMN VIEW on Operating System 6

?

I did find this curious post by RIM :

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB23994

Overview

In BlackBerry Device Software 5.0, in Browser Options > General Options > Default View, there is an option to select Column or Page.

In BlackBerry 6 this option does not exist by design.  

"By Design" ?

What kind of a design is it to make the Bold 9780 unable to be used to read general WebPages ?

I have loaded BOLT.  I tried it.  It is incredibly slow and the print is very small.  I tried changing the settings to no avail.  I deleted it.  Ah, there is another question.  After deleting an application, it just sits there and never is really gone.  It also just sits not only on the device, but it sits at My Applications on the device at BlackBerry Apps World.

I have logged on to Comcast.net and used their interface to the Web, so the device can support COLUMN VIEW or whatever Comcast.net refers to their mobile interface as, because it is readable.

And, I have good eyesight.

I am very disappointed in RIM BlackBerry 6.0 for the useless denuded lack of COLUMN VIEW.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Column View OS6 Column View BlackBerry Bold 9780 T-Mobile

If you know about the Bold 9000, there is a refresh of that device being made.

Bigger keys, touch screen and more.

As for Column view, Some say double clicking on text will enable it.

I have done it on a 9700 but it is erratic.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

[ Edited ]

Erratic is if anything too kind of a word - seems in the vicinity of half the sites I visit either dont zoom or zoom to small and cant be zoomed further - and everything requires extra clicking and waiting to get in and out of compared to column view.

I no longer do any browsing unless I have eirher Opera or bolt open so I can paste and view reasonably. Using the browser used to be fun. But since os6 it is almost the dread nearly cancels the fun.

As much as I would like to get excited about the new RIM phones - may all be for naught coz not sure I can tolerate their browser much longer.

RIM , just fix the browser already please!!

Apologies for the rant - just once had to get this said.

Contributor

Btw RichardRSmith - you have piqued my curiousity about comcast.net web. Is that available to anybody? Do you have a URL or other info you could provide? Thanks
As for the keypad as being discussed above I thought the keypad on my old curve 3120 was about perfect. Configured to easily use onehanded and the style of buttons was easy for my thumb to locate and use even when walking along a bumpy sidewalk in freezing weather - which is often the case for me. Cant say the same for my 9650.
Contributor

Double-Click partial work-around to COLUMN VIEW BlackBerry OS6

[ Edited ]

You are it.

Thanks a lot.  Double-click works.

It is not perfect, but what in life is.  I knew that there had to be something. 

The column view stayed in column by using the BlackBerry Trackball and simply flying down the page.  By double-clicking on my opening page of Internet Browser use, it stayed in that exact mode at several sites I thereafter went to.  Some I went to OPTIONS by pressing BlackBerry menu key and made the print smaller.  So, maybe a work-around is best description of your solution.

I accept it as a solution, but it is not perfect.  I tried to figure out how to say accepted as solution, but there is nothing in your post that I see that lets me press that, knottyrope.

It does float around a little left to right, but man I can read the bloody WebPages.  I was thinking I would not update to OS6 on the BlackBerry 9700 Bold I bought last October T-Mobile because of this, but you fixed my BlackBerry 9780 T-Mobile.  So, now I will upgrade that to the OS6 too.

My previous BlackBerry Bold 9700 is OS5 knottyrope.  So, you have no issues with Column view.  You can go to set-up in OS5 and set it to column view every site.  Stays on column view.  No sites waver left to right as you spin the BlackBerry Trackball and it doesn't drift off slightly.  It also stays column view and you read every site clearly,

jayratwen is really right.  Now, I go to a 5th site and what I got was download latest Flash Adobe plug-in to view the article I wanted to read at the Official University of Georgia WebPages.  Then, I get the error message that OS6 doesn't support the latest plug-in.  You are kidding me, right ?  I cannot go to UGA and read an article at all on this stupid device I wasted my monies on.

I am seriously considering trashing all the time I have wasted programming this BlackBerry 9780 OS6 cruddy thing and take my T-Mobile BlackBerry 9700 OS5 back out of the drawer and use it again.

I saw the BlackBerry PlayBook supported the Adobe Flash.  I got all excited about it.  Was ready to hand BlackBerry my paycheck again and buy it too, and then, and then, and then...

wait for it now...

Alas, RIM decides that T-Mobile can't sell it.

Give me a break.

I want a **bleep** screen I can actually read the Internet on.

Obviously asking too much of the marketing folks to cease with their B.S. that 1 company can sell this new product exclusively and this other 1 company can sell this other new RIM BlackBerry product.

Where did you guys go to college you have in charge of your Marketing Department ?

OPERA ? 

I tried your BOLT.  I removed it from my BlackBerry 9780 as fast as I loaded it.  I say I removed it.  It just sits there still like the GPS I had downloaded because I used it on my 9700 Bold OS5.  Of course, that doesn't work on OS6

EITHER.

So, it just sits there downloaded but not installed.

Don't see any of this on the Desktop 6.

I am so frustrated with RIM BlackBerry right now.  Ultimately.  Waste my money on your products.

Look, column view works.

I set Options set-up while at any Internet site to COLUMN VIEW set the size of the font and it works perfectly every site.

Figure it out.

Send a guy in here to get his Kudos and I gave it to him and now this is where we are.  He doesn't have my phone, doesn't understand the problem and placates me with others have said, try double-click - some have said it works.  I know you guys are like me here, but trying to help best you can.  Why not just admit that RIM BlackBerry has no clue and put in a trouble-ticket to fix it ?

B.S.

It does not work.  Not in the least.

(1) Double-click floats around as you spin trackball unless you are really coordinated and go directly down with the blame thing.  This is impossible.  Waste your time moving left to right.  Might as well just say the OS6 is just a **bleep** cell phone with e-mail.  It is all it is.  You owe me money.

(2) Double-click doesn't stay in column on about half the sites I have now tried it on.  Many sites still present the information beyond the left to right margin of double-click.  Even when I go make the font so small as to make it back to reading with a bloody magnifying glass or pair of binoculors, many sites still present their WebPages beyond the screen size.  I have perfect vision and cannot read a thing on the Internet.  Since I bought this RIM BlackBerry Bold 9780, I have not read a single Internet site on it.  Give me my money back.  Fix it.

I have yet to find a website, Comcast included that I can stay at and see other sites from and read the Internet.  Nice idea there RIM BlackBerry.  Come out with a BlackBerry device March 2011 and you cannot read the Internet.  But, here you go jayratwen :   http://m.comcast.net/m it presents their view of news, sports, weather, TV & movies in a readable format on the latest and greatest (cough cough) RIM BlackBerry Bold 9780 piece of junk "Internet" device.  I want to read all the Internet, not just Comcast mobile.  Obviously asking to much.  If you go to this http://m.comcast.net/m site, press the BlackBerry menu key, and set the font size to 14, you will see what I expect from RIM BlackBerry at all sites.  You had it before in OS5 column view.  Now, you have denuded it from OS6.

Contributor

When is RIM BlackBerry going to address COLUMN VIEW OS6 ?

Here is one of the worst replies I have ever read.  Further, the author assumes all the rest of us are all wrong.

Regular Contributor
DarylS

The webkit browser zooms quite nicely and with the enlarged view one has the ability to scroll over the entire page.  Column view is therefore not necessary and was always a mess and a disadvantage of the old browser.  The only way I know to get that view back is to return to OS 5 and the old browser.

Contributor

Here is the Official RIM BlackBerry response re : COLUMN VIEW OS6

Are you sure you are ready for this Official viewpoint by RIM BlackBerry on COLUMN VIEW OS6 ?  What kind of design is it, that renders the OS6 useless to read any WebPages on the Internet on any of your **bleep** devices ?

http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displ​ayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB23994

Overview

In BlackBerry Device Software 5.0, in Browser Options > General Options > Default View, there is an option to select Column or Page.

In BlackBerry 6 this option does not exist by design.