Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: o2

OS 6 and Torch 9800 - I am so disappointed

[ Edited ]

I bought a Torch a couple of weeks ago. Technically, it’s great; it operates smoothly and has been 100% stable but I’m really disappointed with the software on the phone.

Compared to Apple and any HTC phone, the usability just isn’t there. I’d go so far as to say that it doesn’t even compete with the Sony Ericsson W995, which is primarily a Walkman phone. This is the second Blackberry I’ve owned; I took the first back within the week because the usability on some apps is just so poor. Many of these features are still present here and others really let you down.

To highlight a few issues immediately obvious.

-          There is no custom zoom feature on spreadsheets, simply 3 set sizes of cells. In short, all spreadsheets and Excel files are pretty unusable.

-          Pod-casts don’t work – the software is on there, but forums are full of issues – is this disabled or not?

-          Exchange sync mails are always marked as unread on the phone, even when open on the computer

-          Reply’s stay in the inbox! Why? They’re sent messages!

-          Just a single alarm on the phone which is very easy to mess up if your charging the phone (tapping the screen opens the Alarm settings)

-          I don’t know where to begin on the Maps app – it’s just not easy to use. Is Google maps an option?

-          No stopwatch

-          Media sync – Why can’t you choose by album name? If you have a ‘various artists’ album, you have to select the tracks individually

I could go on and on, seriously…

It’s almost as if you’re living on the fact that you have BBM – from a user perspective, it’s just text messaging – big deal. To me you’re almost guilty of IBM’s belief of invincibility before getting taken to the cleaners by smaller, sharper competitors.

I want to give product feedback.

I emailed and simply received an auto response telling me my email would not be read. I quote “The email you submitted has not been delivered. Please find many alternative support options below.” - That is an absolute disgrace!

How can I give you guys feedback?

Additionally, your sources of help are completely useless.

Please help me, to help you.

Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: OS 6 and Torch 9800 - I am so disappointed

This is a user-to-user, community based forum. It's not user-to-RIM nor RIM-to-user.

1. zoom... I use DocumentsToGo, and specify my zoom.

2. Replys in your inbox? Or your Messages folder?

You can hide all Sent messages in your main messages folder if you want, check your Messages options.

3. You can set mulitple alarms from the calendar app.

4. Yes, GoogleMaps is a great option.

Product feedback: bbsuggestions@rim.com

Product and software support, by contract with RIM, comes from your service provider, such as AT&T or Rogers, not direct from RIM -- similar business model as your automobile in which you don't go direct to Detroit or Tokyo for help. Your warranty is serviced by the deal, supported by the manufacturer. Make sense? So, call your carrier for tech support and ask them to escalate certain issues you feel are bugs to the RIM.

Good luck.

Oh, and ask questions here... you'll find many well versed users and "experts" willing to help you out.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Carrier: o2

Thanks, you certainly know your stuff. 

This was really a last resort for me given that i had tried pretty hard to contact somebody. I'm in the UK and while you're right about talking to my provider, it's RIM who seem to have made a blanket disablement on some features, not the providers. Forum's over here are full of similar issues. 

I just can't help thinking that there are a lot of really simple things here, some maybe a matter of opinion, but a lot really aren't; i'm not speaking alone. So many people i know are issued work Blackberry's completely paid for and still use another phone at their own expense to deliver pretty standard functionality.

I'm not here to be critical, i'd just like eyes opening at RIM - i'll use the address you've supplied - but honestly, i shouldn't need to be relying on you for this, they should be helping themselves!

New Contributor
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Product and software support, by contract with RIM, comes from your service provider, such as AT&T or Rogers, not direct from RIM -- similar business model as your automobile in which you don't go direct to Detroit or Tokyo for help.

This raises an interesting question. I bought the phone and a T-Mobile contract from Carphone Warehouse. T-Mobile themselves don'tsell the Torch 9800 yet. Who is responsible for providung support for (missing) blutooth drivers? Your answer suggests T-Mobile.

Regards

MAB

fuknee wrote:

and still use another phone at their own expense to deliver pretty standard functionality.

And in most cases, just like your wrong assumptions in your initial post, you and those friends need to be asking "how does this work", rather than flatly declaring the BlackBerry can't do it. Because you don't know how, and haven't asked how, doesn't mean the device doesn't. Right?

fuknee wrote:

I'm not here to be critical, i'd just like eyes opening at RIM - i'll use the address you've supplied - but honestly, i shouldn't need to be relying on you for this, they should be helping themselves!

And you could be following the properly channels for technical support and getting solutions.

Good luck with it all.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates

mabryant wrote:

This raises an interesting question. I bought the phone and a T-Mobile contract from Carphone Warehouse. T-Mobile themselves don'tsell the Torch 9800 yet. Who is responsible for providung support for (missing) blutooth drivers? Your answer suggests T-Mobile.

What missing Bluetooth drivers? You may need to be more specific.

For device warranty support, you'd need to turn to Carphone Warehouse.

And, since you've chosen to use an unsupported device on a Tmobile, you may need to rely on forums such as this and others for techincal advice and such. Just a gamble you take with using an unsupported device on your network. I've done the same using the Verizon Storm 9530 on AT&T.

Knowledge Base Updates
JGS
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 & Playbook
My Carrier: Rogers

Sorry to hear about your frustrations...I find new things all the time about my 9800 and OS 6 that I didn't know (like the calendar icon date changing each day - kinda cool)  It sounds like you haven't had a chance to really read through the user guide or explore any of the options.  Let me try and answer some of your questions:

1)  Are you using DocumentsToGo which comes installed with it or just email attachment viewing?  Docstogo is a full office viewer that comes installed on Blackberry.

2)  Hmmm... I use podcasts a lot and have 10 different channels I subscribe to with 4 of them being custom channels.  What are the "issues" you are experiencing?

3) & 4) This is a set-up issue with your mail preferences...you can go into mail options to configure all kinds of behaviours for syncing as well as message grouping by subject, etc.  This is an area where Blackberries have a tremendous amount of power & features, but you need to go in an configure what behaviors you want.

5)  Yes the clock comes with 1 alarm, but you can set multiple alarms for different times on different days by using the Calendar function and recurring alarm reminders.  You can also download from the app store multiple alarm apps - some free some for a couple dollars.

6)  Yes google maps and the whole google mobile suite is available to be used.

7)  There is a very nice stopwatch with either analogue or digital display found under clock > options.  There is also a count down timer available as well.

8) Yes it does, Media sync integrates with iTunes where you can choose to sync by playlist or by artist or genere and even more incredile is WifI Sync where you can sync and have access to your songs on your home library from anywhere - even iPhones don't have that.

The BB OS 6 is actually very powerful, but you need to read / explore a little more to fully uncover its depth.

Hope this helps.