Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: P9981
My Carrier: Airtel

OS 7.1 Problem of Turning Off repeatedly

I have a Blackberry Porsche Design P 9981 and my Wife has a Bold 4 (9900) and we both upgraded the Software to OS 7.1 as suggested by a Blackberry representative in a Dubai Mall.

OS 7.1 supposedly has better Battery life and added features. However, since that time we have a problem that the Device just turns off repeatedly specially after making a call / receiving a call or even sometimes even after using some other app.

Please suggest remedial action and confirm whether it is a generic issue with with SO and if any upgrade / Service pack is available to fix this issue.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: OS 7.1 Problem of Turning Off repeatedly

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

First -- this site is not a formal communication channel to/from RIM...hence, no one here can give you any "official" information whatsoever. Rather, this is a user-to-user community, and the kind volunteers are always more than happy to provide their opinions, remedial recommendations, etc. But, your last request simply cannot be provided here, since what you need there is something official. BTW -- ALL OS (not SO, btw) releases are controlled by the carriers, not by RIM...the carriers therefore would be responsible for any change log information, which is notoriously hard to come by!

In any event, I would recommend you research the various OS versions available to you. Unfortunately, you will have to dig through the official download portal for OS packages for your model (and that portal is sorted first by carrier, not by model):

You may find different versions of the 7.1 OS (each OS has 4 octets, btw...not just 2) and trying different ones may well reveal one that fixes your issues. Further, you should also try loading the OS very "bare bones", with as little add-on things as possible. Then, if the behavior does not immediately present, you should run for perhaps a week, to see if the behavior surfaces. If not, then add just one thing, and run for another week, and repeat that process until the behavior starts...at which time you know the culprit. If the behavior does not come back, then you can deduce that the OS itself (the one you installed) contained the "fix" for the problem...either that or your presently installed OS is somehow corrupted, and reloading it is what cured that corruption. Sadly, it is very difficult to know anything 100% in this regard.

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................