Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Curve CDMA
My Carrier: Sprint

I have a feature request for the OS for the BB smartphones.

When the phone is locked with a password and the number of attempts is exceeded, the phone's memory is wiped and reset to a near-factory state.  This is good; it protects confidential information from falling into the wrong hands.

What would be useful is, just before the memory is wiped, to send an email message from the default account (probably to the default email account as well, but have this be settable) with information regarding what is happening, a timestamp, and a location as well.  For instance:

This is an automated message from the Blackberry SmartPhone with the following information:

Phone number: xxxxxxxxxx

Serial number: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

<other information such as OS version, &c>

The number of attempts to unlock the phone has been exceeded.  The phone is being reset and the memory cleaned.

Date: xx-xx-xxxx

Time: xx:xx:xx am/pm (TZ information)

Latitude: dd.ddddddd

Longitude: dd.dddddd

You may use this information to locate where the phone was at the time this message was generated.

Is this possible? Advisable? The serial number could be obtained by looking at the phone, so including it shouldn't be a problem.  The phone number may or may not be included.

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG853), Z10/Z30/Q10 (, Playbook (
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: OS: Feature request: Send message before reset

Hello and Welcome to the Forums!

In regards to your hope that RIM will see your message -- these forums are a user-to-user support channel, not a user-to-RIM conduit. As such, it is unlikely that they will see what you have written. However, if you have specific and constructive ideas for them, I have heard that they accept such via email to bbsuggestions@rim.com.

Your idea is indeed interesting...however, I see one flaw. You've said that an email message should be sent FROM the default email account...but you've not said where that email message should be sent TO...

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
New Contributor
My Device: Curve CDMA
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: OS: Feature request: Send message before reset

I think the default should be to send back to the default email account, but it should be configurable to send to a different address if you so choose.