Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Blackberry Storm 2
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

OS Update crashed my blackberry? Help!

It was working fine until it stopped playing ringtones and the music I had on there (it said error playing file) so I connected it to BBDM to see if that would fix the problem. It told me there was a software update, so I clicked install. It took forever, and then about 75% of the way through, it decided it couldn't upgrade (I had a failed message come up). Now, I can't even start it in safe mode and when the software loads it's not all there - I get a screen that lets me click on the calculator and memopad but by no means is it a functioning phone. 

I have a mac with the Blackberry Storm 2 (I got it 4 days ago!) Is there anything I can do without making a trip to the Verizon store?

Solutions: 6,376
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: OS Update crashed my blackberry? Help!

If you can run bootcamp or parallels on your Mac, or get to a PC:

1) Make sure you have Blackberry Desktop Manager installed.
http://na.blackberry.com/eng/services/desktop/
2) On your PC, go to Start > Run and copy and paste the following line exactly (meaning with the quotation marks):

"c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\loader.exe" /nojvm

3) The Application Loader Wizard will appear -- click "Next."
4) In the "Connection:" drop-down menu, you should see "USB-PIN: UNKNOWN". Click the "Next" button.
5) You should then see a list of applications ready to be installed for your Blackberry. Hit Next and Finish and you are well on your way to getting your Blackberry back to life. Just don't disconnect anything and let the lengthy process finish completely.

NOTE: If you do not see a list of applications mentioned in step 5 and instead see the message "The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator," then you must download Blackberry's Operating System for your carrier and device.
http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.php/BlackBerry_Operating_System_Downloads
Just select the appropriate carrier and network type, select your Blackberry model from the list and download the latest version. Install this download and follow the above steps again and you should be on the right path.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: Blackberry Storm 2
My Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I don't know if I can get to a PC, and my Mac doesn't have bootcamp. Thanks for your help though! I'll see if the Verizon experts can't fix it.

Solutions: 6,376
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

On a PC, they can.

Or exchange your device.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: storm2
My Carrier: verizon

I run on a Mac and mine did the same thing...gave me a "software 507" error...I just left it plugged in and it eventually recognized my BB and I could upload my software, however I am having issues with using any of the Map apps.

Highlighted
My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: verizon

I updated to the 5.0 version and my phone now wont turn on and the computer doesn't even recognize that it is connected to the USB port anymore.  The LED double flashes red, but the phone wont turn on. I tried running this program from your thread post, and can't proceed because the computer doesn't recognize that the phone is connected!  Any suggestions?  I'm on a trip 3000 miles away from home, and being phoneless is extremely disconcerting!!  Thanks for your help!!