Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Not Specified

OS Update gone terribly wrong

I just tried to update my 8310 through link on my latest Blackberry Email...

I came back with a fatal error and now I have a 8310 w/ no OS and the blackberry desktop app won't allow me to restore my backup.

I need to know how to reset this to box stock.

Solutions: 6,361
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: OS Update gone terribly wrong

You can try to plugging the BB back to the USB and running loader.exe,

Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and double click on the loader.exe file.

If nothing:

You will need to use JL_Cmder to wipe the device and subsequently load the OS to the device. Follow the instructions here:

If JL_Cmder does not work, follow this instructional:

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code

Thank you for the tips ~ I get quite a ways, but end up with this:

Unspecified error encountered [J:0x00000005]

I has the 507 message on the screen.  From what I have read this thing should be pretty well wiped out.

Any thoughts on that error?  This was running like a champ until I tried to do the software update that was sent to me by earlier this evening.

"New software update available for your BlackBerry smartphone." no-reply@upgrade.blackberry.com <-- title and sender.

Am I completely hosed?

Thank you both, this was a stubborn one for sure.

I went through the steps prescribed to clear the O/S and start from scratch.  I couldn't get the device to clear it would go from the 507 error to 561 and just hang using JL_Cmder.

It took three trys with loader.exe /nojvm (the last of which was done after pulling/reinserting the battery) to get this thing to load.

Once things completed (weird or weirder now)  I have the 4.5 upgrage.  I am very new to this device and I'm glad that I'm a tech for a living or I'd of had to see how far I could throw the thing *LOL*  I was able to restore my prior contacts and calendar via desktop manager w/o out further incident and things are now fine.

I gave you both a Kudos hit & appreciate your timely response!

(Must get a "real" manual on all things Blackberry soon)