Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

OS v 6.0

Hi all, forgive me if this subject has been addressed, but I understand the Tour 9630 (Verizon) won't receive an upgrade to OS 6.0. If that is so, is it simply a matter of the hardware not sufficient to support the new OS. If not, why won't the 9630 be upgradable? Also, if this is true, since the browser function has long been a problem for all pre-6.0 OS, why couldn't they simply update the Browser if a full upgrade is not possible.
Thanks

Solutions: 6,358
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: OS v 6.0

No one here really knows all that... we're a user to user, community support forum.

Most likely the lack of OS 6 support for the 9630 has to do with device memory space...

And who knows, the browser could be updated after all.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

From my understanding, the BlackBerry 9630 will not get OS 6 due to memory constraints.  The OS on other devices is over 200MB in size, so it's simply too big to fit on the 9630.

As to getting the new browser on the BlackBerry 9630 and other devices that are not being updated to OS 6, I asked the RIM VPs who were in charge of this while I was at the BlackBerry Wireless Enterprise Symposium (WES) in the spring and was informed that the browser is fully integrated into OS 6 (also called BlackBerry 6) and would not be implemented into older devices.

This isn't to say it will never happen, but from my understanding and from what I was very clearly told at WES, I wouldn't hold my breath.

(Note: I don't work for RIM, so my comments are my own.  These comments are simply based on what I've read and been told over the course of the past year).

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

My Device: Tour 9630
My Carrier: Verizon

[ Edited ]

If your browser is your primary concern then surf on over to Opera for phones: m.opera.com  Smiley Wink