Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

OWA / Exchange 2007

I just need to get a solid answer.

My BIS service with my company's OWA 2003 system was excellent.  Recently my company upgraded to Exchange 2007.  My BIS service was not affected and continued to work without issue.  Then I had to change my domain password and I was unable to get the BIS to validate the change to the account.  I then deleted the account and now can't recreate it.

Items I know for sure:

URL = HTTPS://URL/owa (not exchange)  The only URL I get when logged in via a browser is "HTTPS://URL/owa"

We are behind a proxy, HTTPS://URL/owa is a proxy for my actual exchange server.

I do have all the correct settings, but I get an error "Cannot connect to email server or invalid server name".

Since I was fine after the upgrade and my problems only started when I had to validate the account I think the problem is with the validation.  Can't the BIS just skip validation and trust that the info is correct?

I don't have the ISA problem because that DLL is not added to the url.

So I need to know if there is anyway to get this to work?  Is there a list of supported and unsupported OWA 2007 configurations?  I think I know that reverse proxy and ISA (auth dll) are not supported.  Will BlackBerry commit to a ETA for remediation for those items?  I am positive that my setup will work if I can just bypass the account validation, as it has for months now.

I need to know if need to buy a different phone this week.

Thanks.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: 8120, Storm, 8200

Re: OWA / Exchange 2007

chk this: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB05333

Click on KUDOS to appreciate our efforts and mark the thread RESOLVED if your issue is resolved.
Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Re: OWA / Exchange 2007

I was able to resolve my issue, keep my blackberry and stay with BIS.

The whole issue boils down to how your company has configured the CAS (Client Access Server) role for exchange.  These servers are different from the "Front end servers" that Exchange 2003 utilized.  I am not 100%  sure what my specific issue was, but I requested that my mail-box be moved to a different exchange server.  The new server was being supported by a different CAS which appeared to proxy my connection differently. 

Old OWA settings:

Outlook Web Access host address: https://internal.exchange.server.name.com/owa
Outlook Web Access Proxy Host Address: https://mail.companyname.com/owa

New OWA settings:

Outlook Web Access host address: https://mail.companyname.com/owa
Outlook Web Access host name: mail.companyname.com

Even though the settings are different the old server fully supported the webmail function and active-sync.  It did not support BIS.  Thankfully I was able to find a different Exchange server to migrate to (I found a co-worker who's BIS still work and moved to his server).

So I am still VERY disappointed that BIS is not 100% compatible with Exchange 2007, regardless of its configuration.  Active Sync works with all of them.  I guess the BIS users don't rate.  Microsoft wants you to use active-sync and blackberry wants you to use BES.  Well what about the LARGE community of people that purchase BlackBerrys without access to BES with the intention of using it with their corporate email?

I really liked my blackberry, so it's too bad my next phone won't be one.  I can't take the risk that my email will stop working and find that Blackberry has no intention of fixing it.  The two issues I mentioned in my first post are still unresolved.  That is completely unacceptable.  They need to add that to their advertising.  BIS may or may not work with OWA, and is very likely going to stop working before the end of your contract.