Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Odd emails: is this from RIM?

I've been receiving email on my Torch just fine, but sending out has become quirky in the past 24 hours. Some messages go out fine, others end up with a red X instead of a check mark in the message list and the message status indicates "all attempts to resend failed." Any suggestions?

Plus, I've been receiving many odd messages that appear to be coming from network@etp503003.etp.us.blackberry.net. The subject is: RIM_bca28a80-e9c0-11d1-87fe-00600811c6a2

The body of the email says, "This message is used to carry data between the BlackBerry handheld and an associated server. Please do not delete, move or respond to this message - it will be processed by the server." Then there is a long series of numbers and letters. Each email, and I've received about 9 or 10 of them this week, has an attachment identified as ETP.DAT, but I haven't opened any of the attachments.

Anyone have any ideas about my outgoing email problem and those bizarre emails I'm getting.? Are they really from RIM?

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Odd emails: is this from RIM?

To remedy your outgoing messages problem, remove your battery while your phone is powered on then replace it a few seconds later.  That often will fix such problems (and if not, you might find your phone will run smoother atleast).

As for those messages you're receiving, yes they're from RIM and they're legit.  I honestly can't tell you what their purpose is, but there's nothing suspect about them.

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Thanks so much!

I rebooted the phone by removing and replacing the battery and all seems to be fine.

Glad to hear those are legit RIM emails. I was afraid I'd gotten on an evil sappmer's list  Smiley Wink

Appreciate your help!

Linda

New Contributor

Good grief... I meant evil spammer.