Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Thank you for visiting the BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

BlackBerry will be closing the BlackBerry Support Community Forums Device Forums on April 1st (Developers, see below)

BlackBerry remains committed to providing excellent customer support to our customers. We are delighted to direct you to the CrackBerry Forums, a well-established and thorough support channel, for continued BlackBerry support. Please visit http://forums.crackberry.com or http://crackberry.com/ask. You can also continue to visit BlackBerry Support or the BlackBerry Knowledge Base for official support options available for your BlackBerry Smartphone.

"When we launched CrackBerry.com 10 years ago, we set out to make it a fun and useful destination where BlackBerry Smartphone owners could share their excitement and learn to unleash the full potential of their BlackBerry. A decade later, the CrackBerry community is as active and passionate as ever and I know our knowledgeable members and volunteers will be excited to welcome and assist more BlackBerry owners with their questions."

- Kevin Michaluk, Founder, CrackBerry.com

Developers, for more information about the BlackBerry Developer Community please review Join the Conversation on the BlackBerry Developer Community Forums found on Inside BlackBerry.

Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Official 9530 4.7.0.90 Leak Thread!!

Hi dal553,

Open up a new thread with all your information and we can work with you there.

This way you will get more attention to your problem, more input from different users,

and a quicker resolution.

Do you have multiple .ipd files to choose from? Meet you in the new thread.

Thanks,

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530

I have not had an opportunity to play with 4.7.0.90 as much as I would like but all I can say is wow...the OS has come far...everything responds lightning fast. I am wondering is it going to slow down over time as with previous builds but after installing it earlier today and using the phone I have not run into any problems. The Camera is greatly improved by leaps and bounds. I hope this is a sign that OS stability and speed is finally coming to the Storm. I am greatly looking forward to the official release, maybe the hardware will finally have the software to go with it.

Highlighted
My Device: Not Specified

I also had issues installing the software.  After the install failed twice, I decided to REBOOT my computer and try again.  This time the install went flawlessly.

The instructions to perform the install are as follows:

Install the software.

I guess you can try to install, but this does fail as far as I can tell.

REBOOT your computer.

Try to perform the upgrade again.

This time it should work.

As a computer consultant I find rebooting a computer fixes 90% of a user's issues.  I find that amazing that any system, ie: desktop, media player, phone, server, mainframe, mini-computer, unix, linux, etc.  REBOOTING really does work.

How would you like a profession where 9 out of 10 times, all it takes to fix a problem is to push a button?  I know I do.  But my clients pay me alot of money for that 1 out of 10 times that it does not work!

Contributor
My Device: Storm 9530 (Verizon)

[ Edited ]
I have tried both manually installing as Jeff1974w listed and installing through the DM but I can't get the OS to install either way.  Any ideas as to what might be the problem?  Could someone please list step by step exactly how the entire process should go.  I know that Jeff1974w did but I can't seem to get it to work and I want to make sure I'm not skipping something.  Thanks
Message Edited by stainer85 on 01-24-2009 11:08 PM
Guru I
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Hi Stainer85,

Try reading the whole thread, I already posted detailed instructions.

Remember to delete the vendor.xml file in the PC after downloading, and

before installing in on the BB.

Bifocals

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

Contributor

I've read the entire thread but I must be missing / skipping something.  I deleted the vendor.xml file but it still doesn't work.  Could it be that the installation program is not finding the OS because the OS is saved to my PC desktop and the apploader is in a different location or folder?

Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Storm 9500

So...I am VERY tentative about downloading/updating my storm with "unofficial" updates, but I have seen a few "unofficial" updates since I have had my Storm (since mid-december) and was wondering...Will RIM or Verizon ever release these updates to fix our phones?  I am really itching for a bigger keyboard and to get some of the bugs fixed. 

I also don't like the fact that some people have reported that their GPS doesn't work any more...I really like using the FREE gps that it comes with when I use the "maps" feature and would hate to lose that feature.  

Anyhow...WHEN WILL THESE UPDATES BE RELEASED....OFFICIALLY.  

Thanks for all the valuable information! 

Contributor

There is no way to tell when any of the past, present, or future leaked OS will be OFFICIALY released.  First RIM has to be confident that the OS that they are currently working on will fix the existing OS bugs or at least make progress in advancing the OS as far as operating speed and seamless use of apps/programsUntil that happens they are not going to make the decision to release an OS because they can just leak them and get unofficial feedback from the users to see what they need to continue addressingThen after they are satisfied, it has to work with the carrier's network (Verizon in this case) before it will become an official release4.7.0.75 probably came out so quick because the storm was no where near what it was supposed to be when released and RIM needed to get it to at least be useable within reason so that they could buy themselves time to address the more serious issuesI believe in RIM and I love the storm for its hardware capabilitiesSo thus far I have been patient and will continue to be patient because I am confident that once they get everything sorted out the 9530 is going to be one sweet machineUntil now I have waited for official releases but with all the positive feedback about .90 I would like to try it if I can get it to install.
Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

stainer85 wrote:

I've read the entire thread but I must be missing / skipping something.  I deleted the vendor.xml file but it still doesn't work.  Could it be that the installation program is not finding the OS because the OS is saved to my PC desktop and the apploader is in a different location or folder?

I was one of those unable to install (see earlier posts), but I finally got it going this way:
Download the software.
Locate the the downloaded file, and doubleclick on it to run it on your pc.
Plug in the Storm and run the Application Loader on Desktop Manager.

I had previously deleted the vendor xml file in an unsuccessful install attempt, but another poster reported installing it in the above fashion without that delete.  In my case, the step I was missing was running the software on my pc before loading it onto the Storm.

Please report back and let us know if this works for you. 

Contributor

[ Edited ]
do you still have the OS file on your PC.  what is the file name so I can compare it to mine to be sure that I downloaded the correct file.  When I try to install the OS it shows me that DM 4.7 will be installed but I don't see where it says that OS 4.7.0.90 will be added to install list.  Thanks
Message Edited by stainer85 on 01-25-2009 12:25 AM