Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Storm

Official Verizon BlackBerry Storm Device Software Upgrade

[ Edited ]

Official BlackBerry Storm Software Upgrade available for Verizon Wireless Customers

Upgrade to Device Software Version 5.0 Click Here for Instructions

There are three available options to receive the official Verizon Wireless BlackBerry Storm Software Upgrade. Prior to choosing a method please review the different options for what will work best for you.

Over the Air Software Upgrade (NOTE NOT AVAILABLE FOR DEVICE SOFTWARE UPDATE TO VERSION 5.0)

• File Size of software update : 14MB
  • Download time typically between 10 - 20 minutes (dependent on network conditions)
  • Upgrade Time Up to 2 hrs Expected time 25 - 45 minutes for most users. This is dependent on the amount of user data on the device

Web Based Software Upgrade

• User installs BlackBerry® Application Loader and associated USB drivers (only required if not already installed)
  • DTM and device software are not required to be installed Interactive web tool that runs in real time
  • Requires Windows® Internet Explorer® v5.5 or later, running on Windows®.
  • Not available to BES users

Traditional Software Upgrade

• Requires installation of the BlackBerry Desktop Manager
  • Requires that the BlackBerry Storm be connected to the computer
  • You must either have an internet connection or have downloaded the BlackBerry Storm device upgrade software

Over the Air Software Upgrade

Over the Air Software Upgrades can be initiated in one of two ways :

(NOTE NOT AVAILABLE FOR DEVICE SOFTWARE UPDATE TO VERSION 5.0)

1. You have an Icon indicating that there is a software upgrade available

2. You want to Initiate the Over the Air Software Upgrade yourself

Icon for Software Upgrade Appears on the device

1. You see an icon on your BlackBerry Storm smartphone called "Wireless Upgrade"

2. Click the "Wireless Upgrade" icon. The introduction page will display. Click Next.

3. The "Available Upgrades" screen displays. Click on the latest version or press the Menu key and click the "Start Download"

4. The "Reset Required" screen displays. Click Next

5. The confirmation screen appears to confirm you wish to reset. Click Yes

6. Your BlackBerry Storm will now reset.

7. Enter your Device Password (Only required if you have setup a device password)

8. The "Ready to Download" screen displays. This will advise of the size of the download required for the software upgrade. Click Start Download

• NOTE: You will receive a warning on this screen if the battery has less than 50% charge. It is recommended to only complete a Wireless Upgrade when the device is charged fully.

9. The "Download in Progress" screen will display.

10. The Wireless Upgrade Icon on the main screen will change to a "Download" icon

11. Once the upgrade has been fully downloaded you will be presented with the "Schedule Upgrade" screen. You will have the option to click "Upgrade Now" or "Schedule Upgrade".

• If the battery is below 50% you will only have the option to "Schedule Upgrade"

12. If you clicked "Upgrade Now" you will receive a confirmation window.

• IMPORTANT: Once you start the Wireless Upgrade you will be unable to use your BlackBerry device nor make any emergency calls until the upgrade is complete. This may take up to 2 hours.

13. If you choose to "Schedule Upgrade" you will be presented with the "Schedule Upgrade" screen. Select the date and time you wish to start the upgrade. It is recommended to place a check in the box "Confirm before starting" as your BlackBerry will ask you at the scheduled time if you wish to proceed with the upgrade. Click Save

14. The "Verifying Upgrade" alert will display

15. The "Wireless Software Upgrade" screen will display. You will see progress bars move as your BlackBerry data is backed up. The next few steps account for the majority of the upgrade time.

16. Once your BlackBerry has completed the data back up it will then display the "Patching OS" screen

17. Followed by the "Patching Java" screen

18. Once the "Patching Java" process is complete your BlackBerry will reset. After the reset the "Wireless Software Upgrade" screen will reappear and will show the "Overall Restore Progress".

19. Once your BlackBerry has finished restoring data you will get a notification that the Upgrade is Complete.

20. Click OK and enjoy the updated software.

How to Initiate over the air software upgrades

1. To initiate a Wireless Upgrade click on Options on the main screen

2. Click Advanced Options

3. Click Wireless Upgrade

4. You will then follow the steps for "Icon for Software Upgrade Appears on the device" starting at step 2

Wireless Upgrades - Canceling or Incomplete Downloads

If the download is not complete, the Wireless Upgrade / Download icon changes to indicate an error

Click on the Icon. This will display the "Download Paused" screen which will provide additional information and provide suggestions on completing your BlackBerry Software Upgrade.

You can cancel a Wireless Upgrade only if you have not initiated the actual software update (see: Cancelling - point of no return). To do so click the Menu key from the Wireless Upgrade screen and Click Cancel Upgrade

• Note: If you are connected to a BlackBerry Enterprise Server you may not have the option to cancel an upgrade.

Web Based Software Upgrade

1. Review the requirements for Web Based Software Upgrades:

-  Requires Windows® Internet Explorer® v5.5 or later, running on Windows®.
    -  Not available to BES users

2. Go to the BlackBerry Storm Upgrade page

3. Install the BlackBerry® Application Loader and associated USB drivers (only required if not already installed)

4. Follow instructions in the Application Loader to update device software and sign up for email notifications in the future for BlackBerry Software Upgrades

5. Follow the exact same process as in Desktop Manager (see: Traditional Software Upgrades)

Traditional Software Upgrade Using Desktop Manager

1. If you have your BlackBerry connected to your computer and an internet connection, Desktop Manager will automatically check online for the latest device software.

2. Click Update Now and go to step 4

3. If you have downloaded and installed the BlackBerry Storm Upgrade software manually select "Application Loader" from the main menu. To get updated BlackBerry device software from your carrier click here and then select your carrier. You will be redirected to the appropriate site.

4. Click Start under the Software Upgrade section

5. You will be presented with a list of available components to update. Click Next

6. Desktop Manager will backup your data and complete the upgrade.
Message Edited by Beholder on 12-06-2008 12:27 AM

Want to learn how to use your BlackBerry® smartphone? Visit youtube.com/blackberry to help you get the most out of your BlackBerry smartphone!

Do you have questions about your BlackBerry smartphone?

Go to mobile.blackberry.com on your BlackBerry smartphone to enter your question and get instant answers! 

Developer
My Device: You wish.

Re: Official Verizon BlackBerry Storm Device Software Upgrade

All BES Administrators that want to control wireless upgrades should read the following guide to deploy wireless upgrades as by default BES users will not receive an icon and the administrator must choose to send it or can control the upgrade process:

http://www.blackberry.com/knowledgecenterpublic/livelink.exe?func=ll&objId=1442346&objAction=browse&...

Contributor
My Device: Not Specified

Please be advised I did a wireless upgrade this evening, and it went smoothly. Unfortunately around 2 hours later the phone rebooted itself twice and then wiped itself. I lost my BES and all personal emails, along with all contact/calendar information and all added programs.

I sincerely hope this is not going to happen each time there's a wireless upgrade.

New Contributor

I tried upgrade wirelessly and it said there was not enough memory--that I needed to erase 5MB of memory.  How is this possible?  Isn't there an 8GB card that everything gets saved to?  If not can I set up the card to be the default storage for apps and media?

Do I need to get rid of programs?  The thing did not come with an operating manual hands on to use like any other phone I've purchased.

How can the official website itself not provide info on this issue.  I did not see it at 1st scan but maybe I'm wrong.  

**bleep** this is frustrating and seems pathetic.   Am I going to have to call Verizon today or can the company's website not provide the info in the 1st place for a smooth upgrade?

j

Developer

jseville, depending on the number of programs you have installed removing software might be applicable. I would also suggest pulling the battery on the BB before starting the upgrade to see if that helps with free memory.

If it is an option for you you can always use the usb nbased upgrade path at http://www.blackberry.com/storm/upgrades

New Contributor

I've only added a few programs, taken a few pics and a couple of video clips.  there should be plenty of room on this new device. 

I got the desktop manager to try and remove the pics/video from my phone, and when I click on media the media manager is greyed out so I cannot move any photo/video files around---at least I assume that is the way to do it.  Any idea on why my media manager is essentially disabled?

Also there a bunch of high memory photos on the phone from RIM--they have locks on them...How do I get these memory hogs off my phone--I didn't ask for them.

Developer

Did you try pulling the battery before doign the upgrade? Also try running through the setup wizard and remove unused languages.

New Contributor

how do i get the upgrade, because i have a iMac computer?
New Contributor

I pulled battery and then did upgrade from the desktop and it went very well.  Still no answer on the media manager being greyed out to prevent swapping photo/video files between phone and computer.  am on the phone with Verizon/blackberry for that.
Contributor

Is there any difference between this update file and the unofficial on the was put a week earlier?  I updated with the unofficial file, should I do it again with this official file?