Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Starhub
Accepted Solution

Oh my god!!! Who approved Desktop Software 7.0???!!!!

Dear RIM,

Have you considered the spiraling situation you are in with regards to market share? i.e. Apple, Android, etc.

Why are you releasing even more buggy/buggier software in the shape of Blackberry Desktop Software 7.0? Is the approver (for this software release) single-handedly trying to sink the company even further by aggravating its existing user base who is preparing to standby and wait for RIM to make a comeback?

The Outlook Sync is broken. I am reading issues with Outlook 2010 but I am only on Outlook 2007. The previous Desktop Software "WORKED". Why are you releaseing buggy software and breaking something that works? Have you not learned from your past mistakes?

Please make available the latest Desktop Software 6.x so your customers (I feel so undervalued as a customer of RIM) can perform a rollback.

Yours Sincerely,

Dismayed, Disappointed and utterly Crushed at the Change Management in RIM

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Orange

Re: Oh my god!!! Who approved Desktop Software 7.0???!!!!

I ended up reinstalling V0.6 as I had retained it from the first installation when I obtained by BB. I have expressed surprise the RIM have not addressed the issue and would have expected them to follow the trends on this site closely. I am using Outlook 2003 so the error is affecting all versions versions as far as I can tell.  Hope you get sorted.

Cheers

Aitchie

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 8520
My Carrier: ?

Hello all,

I've got a 8520 Curve which works very well, and my wife has a 9900 Bold. We were very satisfied of our phones, using them mainly as phones and calendar, synched with Outlook 2003 on 2 PCs.

Then... I installed Desktop 7.0.0.59... Disaster update...

The fact is, the new synch engine might be good and state of the art and funky and everything your marketing dept will try to make us believe, but there is a GROSS design failure on the interface ! The most annoying facts are the following :

- The titles on the personal folders all appear as "Partie supérieur des dossiers personnels" (I'm in French), which means in good english "Top of the personal folders",

- The very helpful folders tree of previous versions disappeared in favor of an uneasy one-level view.

Which means for us, having about 10 personal folders and a multiple subfolders structure, that we just can't tell which folder is which.

By trials and errors, I finally managed to get the right folder. It seems the engine is somewhat slower than its previous version, but for now at least it doesn't seem broken. Still, the conflict resolution interface is not very user-friendly, but it's minor compared to the previous bug. The problem is more in the final operations list, which window is far too small to be read and can't be extended.

Finally, I managed to get the sync by erasing all terminal data and replacing them by data from the computer... ThenI reverted to bidirectional synch and it worked well.

So could you please fix these gross design mistakes in the next update ? Thanks in advance !

Highlighted
Contributor
My Device: Bold 9900
My Carrier: Starhub

One of the reasons why customers are leaving RIM is because of their inability to control quality and the user experience. I mean this fact has been known for quite some time and was made very public to the rest of the world who don't own RIM devices through this article;

http://www.bgr.com/2011/06/30/open-letter-to-blackberry-bosses-senior-rim-exec-tells-all-as-company-...

Yet, here we are...still finding that RIM continues to struggle with issues fundamental to the management of a smartphone. I mean if the software isn't ready, DON'T RELEASE IT. Have you no one in your org that understands the value of testing, testing and testing? Have you even tried to hire users as beta testers before you release into the wild? The issue here with DM 7 (Mine is saying its v7.0.0.59 bundle 60) and Outlook (any version) spells volumes at the amount of testing RIM did on this release.

I am sure Thorsten Heins is not aware of the quality issues in their desktop manager department because I have had issues with the Mac OS X desktop manager as well (different set of issues).

If anyone here is reading this from RIM, please bring it back to the attention up top. Someone really needs to know what is going on.

FYI folks - I have re-downloaded Desktop Manager 6.1.0 bundle 38 using the suspicious link that insists you use their download manager;

http://blackberry-desktop-software.en.softonic.com/blackberry

When it asks you for admin rights, DO NOT type in your administrator password. A downloader does not need admin rights to save a downloaded file onto your desktop.

The other link provided by another user did not work for me because depositfiles.com is detecting a large number of hits on that link and wants you to pay for it now;

http://www.blackberryforums.com/rim-software/253387-archived-rim-desktop-software.html#post1744114

Good luck people.

Contributor
My Device: Q10
My Carrier: Rogers

It is really sad that this great company with such great products is falling apart.  I'm a BB defender, still buy the newest device every time they come out but absolutely MUST have a desktop synch program that works.  I've been fighting with this updated version for a week at least.  Cannot get it to reliably synch with Outlook 2010, can't seem to figure out if my PIN entries for all my contacts are synching or not - the new software doesn't synch PIN to User Defined Field 1 like the old one did.  I've tried about 10 different options to get my BB 9900 to synch PINs to Outlook without any success.  Funny thing is my wife's 9900 synched perfectly including when I chose to put PIN into User Defined Field 1.  Makes no sense and really I'm close to making the switch to something else.

Please fix this issue!

msr
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9780
My Carrier: 02 UK

I am afraid I have to agree with the sentiments expressed here -- and also the solution.

For my part, I was lucky enough to have retained the original BlackBerry Tools installation disk which came with my BB 97800 device, and so uninstalled the erroneous BlackBerry Software Manager 7 and  re-installed BBSM 6 (Bundle 42).  It took a few attempts to set-up the the phone again -- including a mandatory battery-pull, but I am now able to sync MS Outlook 2003 on Win XP as previously.

As I have posted elsewhere, the cause of the fault with BBSM 7 is, I believe, the fact that RIM no longer uses the sync module provided by Intellisync (as in previous versions of the desktop software).  Why this is, I simply cannot explain, although I suspect/speculate that licensing issues may have something to do with it -- ie for reasons unknown the commercial relationship which previously existed between Intellisync and RIM may no longer be viable.

I have always been a strong supporter and relatively early-adopter of BlackBerry devices, but RIM's all-too-apparent lack of support for third-party apps (DocumentsToGo being a case-in-point in my experience) and failure to test OS/software upgrades before release can only mean its death-knell will be hastened.

Now that Samsung has launched the Galaxy III S, with the proviso that it is enterprise-ready, RIM's bastion of enterprise security will be well-and-truly breached by Android devices connected to secure containers.

This is a great pity for a once proud technological innovator such as RIM -- and Canadian to boot:-)

New Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Hong Kong CSL Limited

Laugher or anyone else, can you host the previous desktop manager software somewhere? If I can't get the sync working soon, I'll have to get an i-phone !!

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8900

I "upgraded" to version 7.0.0.59 and when asked to "Select Organizer Data to Sync" It allows me to select contacts and Memos in Outlook 2010 but not Calender and Tasks. When I press OK in respect of the latter two nothing happens. If I try to sync my Bold 9900 I get the following Error Message: "Caught_com_error exception. Description()Smiley Sadnull):Error():-2147023151 (0x800706D1): ErrorMessage(): The procedure number is out of range.: Source()Smiley Sadnull)"

Is there any solution to this issue? If not where can I find the site to reinstall version 6 which worked find. I am very disappointed with RIM

New Contributor
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: Hong Kong CSL Limited

Check here for work arounds

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/microsites/microsite.do

I solved mine by cleaning up the recurring agenda items (and deleted the old ones)

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/btsc/viewdocument.do?noCount=true&externalId=KB32032&sliceId=2&cm...

Now it all works

New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Curve 8900

Many thanks for your response. I do not have any recurring items in Outlook 2010 so that does not appear to be the problem. I have discovered the download for version 6 which I have reinstalled and all is working fine with this earlier version. It does seem surprising that version 7 was released with so many fundamental flaws!