Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Sprint

One contact rings anyway when profile set to silent or vibrate

I had a BlackBerry Style 9670 for about five years and liked it. Decided to upgrade, but not ready for the Q/Z10 yet, so I got the Bold 9930 last week. I had the problem I'm going to describe on the 9670 and was hoping a new phone would cure it. No such luck.  

When I set the phone to silent or vibrate, ONE of my contacts-- let's call him "Bob"-- still rings through. Other callers do not. When other callers call, the phone either vibrates or just shows the call on the screen, as per the ACTIVE PROFILE.

But when Bob calls, even if the phone is set to silent or vibrate, HIS calls ring. It's very aggravating.

So I got my new phone and Bob was over yesterday, and we performed some experiments. I set it to vibrate and asked him to call me; it rang. I set it to silent; ditto. When I set it to "all alerts off," it DID NOT ring, but his call did show up on the screen, which makes me wonder what is the difference between "all alerts off" and "silent"?

I've deleted him from my contacts list and re-entered him. I've changed the ringtone. I've carefully examined all the choices in the options panel WRT profiles and WRT to his contact settings in particular. His phone option is set to "active profile."

It only happens with Bob. He thought it might be because he has an iPhone, but I have other iPhone contacts and this doesn't happen with them.

I don't know if this is a BlackBerry problem or a Sprint problem. But I just spent 20 minutes on the phone with Sprint, and of course, they say it's a BlackBerry problem. Also, it seems to me that this didn't always happen. This is my third BB since I've known him, and I don't recall it happening on my Pearl at all or on the 9670 for the first couple of years.

Is there any way to actually CALL for BB tach support? Or is this forum our only option for getting help?

Any thoughts? Anyone...?

New Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930
My Carrier: Sprint

Re: One contact rings anyway when profile set to silent or vibrate

I found the answer. Thanks to all who took a stab at answering (not). I just read this in an online BlackBerry manual:

You can create contact alerts that allow you to customize ring tones and alerts for calls and messages from specific contacts or groups of contacts. When you receive a call or message from the contact, your BlackBerry smartphone uses the assigned ring tone or alert, even if you select the Silent profile or Vibrate Only profile. If you do not want to be notified with the assigned ring tone or alert, you can select the All Alerts Off profile.

I do not think it was always this way... I remember at one time in the past that if I set the phone to vibrate or silent NO rings came through, even uniquely assigned ringtones. Maybe this changed as a result of an OS update sometime in the last 4-5 years.

So from this it seems that my phone is behaving normally. That when I have a custom ringtone assigned to a contact (in Bob's case, the James Bond theme), it will always ring, unless I set the phone to "all alerts off." I only have custom ringtones assigned to three contacts, so that's why it seemed to me that only his was misbehaving.

Not what I expected.