Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: curve 8520
My Carrier: vodafone

Opera mini not working in Curve 8520 version 5.0

I want to install opera mini on my Blackberry Curve 8520 v 5.0 . It is installed and but i am not able to use it as my browser. I have also read that  Version 5.0 does not support opera mini. I have been trying for 3 days now please help me it's urgent.

regards

vipul

Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Opera mini not working in Curve 8520 version 5.0

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Well, in looking at Opera's site:

They indeed show no BB OS5 in their list. I don't know if that means they are not compatible with the 8520/OS5 combination or not, but it might appear that way.

Did you download (using the native BB Browser, of course) to your BB using the m.opera.com site? That is supposed to properly sense your BB model and OS level, and then present you with the proper download package that is compatible with your BB.

Have you asked Opera for help?

And, what does "not able to use it" actually mean, please? What do you attempt? What exactly happens? Details and specifics always help.

Thanks and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................
Solutions: 6,357
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

You might should try an older version of Opera Mini. Smiley Wink

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code

I have tried installing opera 4.4 and opera 7. I want to use it for testing a website and please dont suggest simulator coz it doesnt work on my thing. Should i downgrade my os to 4.6.1 and then install opera mini as version 4 firmware ?

It's not about opera, it's about the OS..
Hall of Famer III
My Device: PRIV (6.0.1/AAG111), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Actually, it's about both. All apps must be specifically ported to every BB/OS level combination. If Opera has not ported to the 8520/OS5 combination, then there is no Opera version that will work in your current circumstances. But, again, that question is for Opera Support.

But, I'll ask again...did you install Opera OTA via your BB Browser? As I said, their installation senses your BB model/OS combination and offers to you their compatible version. If, on the other hand, you downloaded their installation package to your PC and then used the Desktop Software to install it to your BB, then it's entirely possible that you selected an Opera package that is not compatible with your specific BB model/OS combination.

If you want to try falling back your BB OS level to something that the Opera site specifically supports, that certainly would be a valid approach to take.

Good luck!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................

Yeah you are right that it's a bit of both. Yes i just now tried to install through the BB browser.. It is installing fine and i also checked the list of installed apps through desktop manager. But how do i open it??
when i open the browser --> the default browser opens...
How do i open OPERAMINI
please everyone need help..
Hall of Famer III

Opera Mini does not replace the built in BB Browser, so the BB Browser icon continues to do what is has always done. Rather, Opera Mini should have an icon on your BB just for it...it'll look like the Opera Logo red "O".