Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

My Device: Bold 9000
My Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Option to turn BBM off or on when you want.

I love the Blackberry product. It's safe to say it's the best phone i've had thus far. However there is one issue that i can't get around. It's simply the fact that i can not turn off Blackberry Messenger when i want to.

I don't like the idea of it being on all the time. There are points where i'll have 3 or 4 messages just waiting and feel obligated to check them. Not to mention the issues that arrive after you've read messages (r) and dont respond.

I know it's a simple fix really, however over the past month I and quite a few people that i know whom have BBs have discussed the same issue of  "always being connected". I've reached the point where i've been enquiring with my service provider about removing the data package all together as to get rid of BBM. The quick easy solution is to uninstall it. However it's not that i don't find it useful when i want to use it. It's just that the majority of the time i have no choice. So i'm a slave to my phone.

I'm sure some would say, well perhaps you just need to turn the phone off but thats not so practical. I feel if it's important you can call. If i'm busy the little busy sign doesn't stop people from messaging. Perhaps i'm a little neurotic but seriously.. It drives me slightly insane that flashing red light.

Anyhow, for the love of all things good and pure.. please PLEASE have your dev team put in a feature where users can turn off their BBM should they want to. It's just another thoughtful feature for an all around thoughtful product. I'm sure i'm not the first and i'm positive i'm not the only one.

~W

Solutions: 6,331
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Option to turn BBM off or on when you want.

Wiggins, Greetings, and welcome to the BlackBerry.com Support Forums.

You can:

1) Turn off all notifications, both audible and visible for BlackBerry Messenger so that you are NOT alerted to any messages UNTIL you wish to look at the application. (See your Profiles for notifcations and alerts).

2) Set your BlackBerry Messenger status as Unavailable or Busy.

Open BBM > My Profile, etc.

One or both of those should solve your problem.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
My Device: Not Specified

Please create an option to sign in and out of bbm like msn or any other instant messaging application.  I and many other people I know, have deleted bbm because we cannot handle being connected at all hours of the day, weather we get notified or not.  It's very frustrating because I love the advantages of bbm but it's just not worth being at my phone's mercy.

Thank you.

My Device: Tour

Yes, Please make an option to turn off/sign out of  BBM.  Many people will be happy.

New Contributor
My Device: bold 9780
My Carrier: rogers

[ Edited ]

Find the "Options" folder or application on your BlackBerry and select it. Often, you can find "Options" within the "Setup" tab.

Select "Security Options." There will be numbered features under this menu. Scroll down to select "Firewall."

Choose "Firewall Options" to open all of the applications currently allowed or blocked by your BlackBerry phone.

Click "Disabled" in the "Status" drop-down menu. You should see SMS, MMS, PIN, BlackBerry Internet Service and Enterprise Email.

."

Contributor
My Device: Bold 9930

How does one completely REMOVE BBM? I use whatsapp which is universal across mobile platforms and BBM just takes up unwarranted resources. Last time ui checked, I didn't see an option to delete or remove the app like most others. TIA.

Check your AppWorld > MyWorld.

If BBMessenger is not listed with a delete option, then you will need to connect to the BlackBerry Desktop Sofftware > Applications, find it in the list and delete it.

>> NEW! 10% discount on BlackBerry devices from ShopBlackBerry.com, including PRIV

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Pearl 8100

[ Edited ]

There are so many reasons why a messaging app should not be persistently on and any developer that feels otherwise is insane! BlackBerry (RIM) may think that BBM is so cool that you would never want to be signed out but that impacts on people's privacy.

Other reasons for signing out would be to sign in as a different user (e.g. personal / work).

Even if doormat BlackBerry device owners accept this behaviour, now that BBM is available on other platforms, BlackBerry need to start thinking realistically and allow users to sign out of BBM or shut it down altogether.

Take a look at Skype for example.

I used to have a BlackBerry Pearl 8100 but ultimately found more things frustrating with it than useful and so I gave up using it. I couldn't use BBM or other PIN based services on my Pearl as the previous owner had not ‘released’ the PIN from his BlackBerry Id. and neither my Mobile Network Operator nor BlackBerry (RIM) would contact him by e-mail to request him to do so as “it would violate his privacy”. My right to use my device seemed irrelevant to them.

I may now uninstall BBM from my Android device unless this issue is addressed.

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK

Wow, you're here to insult everyone in your path.

I'm happy I've had the chance to read a post from the smartest man in the world today.

Doormat, eh. lol

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
My Device: BlackBerry Pearl 8100

[ Edited ]

I'm not normally so blunt in my posts but I had just installed BBM for Android and was infuriated to find that it cannot be shut down and you cannot sign out to sign in as another user. I abhor such behaviour in Windows software where you right-click on an icon in the notification area but then cannot choose Exit or Sign Out and I didn't want such behaviour infecting my Android device. It also reminded me of the poorer parts of my experience with a BlackBerry device.

However, I believe that my comments were all valid and that BlackBerry device users should not have been putting up with such an arrogant and ignorant attitude from their product manufacturer for so long. It's not even clever, it's restrictive! Not everyone wants the world to know they are online especially when they have set their status to ‘unavailable’.

From some of the posts here and elsewhere many BlackBerry device owners have accepted this for far too long and only feel it would be a nice enhancement to be able to sign out of BBM rather than complaining vehemently to BlackBerry that it is a humongous flaw. Hence the ‘doormat’ comment which, in all honesty, I knew would come back to bite me where I sit. 

As someone who has been a conscientious software developer for 30+ years, I always believe in giving the user choice and always bear in mind that I may not have considered all of the ways in which the user may choose to use the software. As a result, I make no assumptions about its implementation and endeavour to make any configuration options as flexible as possible.

I don't feel that the facetious ‘smartest man in the world’ comment was justified.

Félim
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK