Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: ATT

Other carriers that offer BIS (BB Internet Service)?

My Torch is a GSM phone (from AT&T) and I've completed my contract. 

I am considering taking my phone to a different carrier partner/virtual network operator, but I discovered at least one carrier doesn't offer BIS.  Without internet service, many apps won't work (including navigation).

Anyone know of a third-party GSM carrrier that offers BIS?

Thanks!

Hall of Famer III
My Device: DTEK50 (AAH108), PRIV (AAH995), Z10/Z30/Q10 (10.3.2.2813), Playbook (2.1.0.1917)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Other carriers that offer BIS (BB Internet Service)?

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Refer:

I normally use that list as a good resource for BB supporting carriers. I've learned that it's not necessarily exhaustive, but it might be a good place for you to start.

Do, however, keep in mind these factors:

1. Your BB must be specifically capable of working with the frequencies/technologies that the carrier uses...you must review the capabilities of the device against what the carrier uses (you might have to ask them that question)
  2. If your BB is not natively supported by the carrier network for automatic HRT population and Service Book distribution, then it may be very challenging to get your BB to function on that carriers network. You would need to ask them this specific question as well (though the above linked resource could also provide you with indicators...if a carrier lists your model, then their network supports it).
  3. Your BB must be MEP unlocked in order to use it on any carrier other than that for which it was originally manufactured.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!

New to the Community? Click here and also here for helpful guidance. Also please click here for additional helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions. If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button. Need a reference to BB10 OS/SR versions? Click here. Need a specific BB10 AutoLoader? Send me a private message.

...................................................... ......................................................