Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® OS Smartphones

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Not Specified
Accepted Solution

Out of application memory.

My phone says I have 0 k application memory which I really don't understand cause the silly thing has >800mb free.  >7gig free if you add the memory card.  I would like to ask how to move all these applications to the memory card where my memory is not so limited.

Thanks

Pete

Solutions: 6,396
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Out of application memory.

Device memory, Media card and application memory are three different things and three different memory spaces on the device.

You can't store/load/install applications on the Media Card. That's been answered in this forum several thousand times.

Clear space on your application memory.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes
Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

You don't have to be smart.  I don't live in these forums.  I'm just trying to get a question answered.  and if you REALLY want to be helpful you would TELL ME how to maintain my application memory.

But you say I have all this memory that I can't use then what's the point in having a smart phone?  I got this phone for the 8gb of memory and I can only install 5 applications?  There's gotta be something wrong.  I should be able to install 50 applications. 

Pete

Pete, I'm not being "smart" as you call it... more like truthful. And "thousands" could be underestimated. Smiley Wink

I was trying answer your questions directly about moving stuff to your Media Card. Sorry you took it personal. Really.

Managing your memory:

First thing? Check the File Free at Options > Status, what is the number at File Free?

Now, leaving the device powered ON, remove the battery of your device, hold a minute, replace and reboot.
What is the File Free now?

Read this: http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/116396-managing-your-bb-memory-lost-ca...

And this: http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-blackberry-discussion/112029-losing-call-logs-sms-emails-opt...

Additional links to read:
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB15345&sliceId=SAL_Pub...
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB14320&sliceId=SAL_Pub...
http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/dynamickc.do?externalId=KB14213&sliceId=SAL_Public&command=show&forwa...

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Knowledge Base Updates

gurupeter wrote:

I can only install 5 applications?  There's gotta be something wrong.  I should be able to install 50 applications. 

Only five? Can you list them?

I've installed and maintained over 30 on the 9500, 9530, and 9520 Storm models.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Sorry I guess I took it wrong.

Here are the appications I have installed on top of the BB puts out there.  I guess I have 7

flashlight

iheartradio

google maps

bb app world

poynt

ap mobile

viigo

I could get rid of Viigo,  I don't really use it much but I don't see any of these using more than a meg of 2 of memory.  I ran into this memory issue when AP news said it had an update but when I tried to do it, it said I had 0kb free.  I removed the battery which I found suggested elsewhere and was able to do the update but it still shows 6.4mb free in the app loader. 

My File free is 15474818  This is after I did a restart since I just updated AP news and it restarted for me.

I will take a look at your articles.  Thanks much for the help.

Pete

If you don't use Viigo much, I'd remove it. It is a huge memory hog.

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Done.  Between that and Yahoo I now have close to 30 mb.  I still don't understand this 800mb that seems like it is in limbo as I cannot touch it.  It says its only using 13mb out of that 800mb.  Seems like a great big waste if it was designed that way.  Give the device the 30mb and my applications that 800mb would make more sense to me  Smiley Happy 

gurupeter wrote:

Done.  Between that and Yahoo I now have close to 30 mb.  I still don't understand this 800mb that seems like it is in limbo as I cannot touch it.  It says its only using 13mb out of that 800mb.  Seems like a great big waste if it was designed that way.  Give the device the 30mb and my applications that 800mb would make more sense to me  Smiley Happy 

It's been cussed and discussed here here ad infinitum and ad nauseum Smiley Wink

RIM limits the applicaiton memory space for security reasons. It may not matter to you, but it certainly does to the numerous corporate and goverment users who need tighter security on their devices, larger memory spaces are hard to control/wipe and monitor. There's more to it, but that's the short and sweet in my view and opinion.

Knowledge Base Updates
Contributor
My Device: 9550

The memory card really is only good for storing music, photos, audiobooks, and documents.  It truly is only for "storage" and not for any executable.  All applications go on a portion of the on-board memory, which is what JSanders alluded to.  You get about 256 mg of this for things like applications (on a Storm2), but you really need to leave at least 40 mg untouched for the device to work properly.  Yes, this means your application selecton is limited.  I have an iPod touch as well, and that's what I keep my fun applications on.  On my Storm2, I just keep more functional apps, like WeatherBug, Contaxx, Viigo (I don't have a memory hog problem with it), Google Maps, and MeterBerry.  I also have Visible Vote, Blackstar, Audible (which is a memory hog, a battery hog, and a memory leak), BugMe, Bing, Facebook, Flickr, Twitter, YouTube, and iSpy Cams (hey, it's like a virtual vacation), and I still have 110 mg free.